Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

weedeater engine disassembly

OK

05-30-08, 07:27 PM   #1  
weedeater engine disassembly

i have a weedeater featherlite plus.
i have the engine mostly taken apart,
is their a website for how to remove everything from the "block".
it is about 5 or 6 years old and it has not ran rite for a while now.
and how to remove the arm from the piston head. it is going to go through a cleaning, regreaseing, and new gaskets.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-30-08, 09:32 PM   #2  
I don't know of any webiste about what you're considering. No offense meant by this at all, but are you aware that this is a cheap ($58 at wallyworld) trimmer, and not generally worth repairing. It's meant to be a disposable unit good for only a few hours of run time? I'm all for fixing stuff and getting the full available use from a piece of equipment before trashing it, but I don't even put much effort into fixing low-end trimmers because once one thing goes bad, the rest is right behind it like a train wreck. I wind up spending more time and money on the thing, then toss it anyway.

However...this site is called Do It Yourself, and if that's what you choose to do, we can help.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

OK

05-30-08, 09:41 PM   #3  
i know its just to keep me busy when im off of work lol
i have a new trimmer plus it will help me when i may build a small engin for misc stuff like a gocart

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-30-08, 09:48 PM   #4  
Ok...as I recall, to remove the piston and rod you would remove the crankcase cover at the rear of the engine (4 screws in the plastic cover), remove the carb, muffler, and then the 2 screws holding the cylinder on. Slide the cylinder upwards and it will expose the piston. The rod just slips onto a short peg of a journal on the crankshaft.

God bless!

OK

05-30-08, 10:45 PM   #5  
Posted By: cheese Ok...as I recall, to remove the piston and rod you would remove the crankcase cover at the rear of the engine (4 screws in the plastic cover), remove the carb, muffler, and then the 2 screws holding the cylinder on. Slide the cylinder upwards and it will expose the piston. The rod just slips onto a short peg of a journal on the crankshaft.
i already got that far.
i was wondering how to remove the rod from the pistion,
and how to finish takeing apart the "block"
ill post some pic of how far i have the engine taken apart.

*edit* found out i cant post the pics

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-31-08, 08:45 PM   #6  
I suppose the wrist pin is probably pressed in, holding the rod and piston together. Why would you want to remove the rod? What else of the block do you want apart? There are no parts of the block to be removed. You can take the crankshaft out of the block, and unbolt the coil if you wanted to, but that's about it. You have to take the other end of the engine cover off to do that.

God bless!

OK

06-01-08, 12:34 AM   #7  
Posted By: cheese I suppose the wrist pin is probably pressed in, holding the rod and piston together. Why would you want to remove the rod? What else of the block do you want apart? There are no parts of the block to be removed. You can take the crankshaft out of the block, and unbolt the coil if you wanted to, but that's about it. You have to take the other end of the engine cover off to do that.
so i can clean the pistion. i have the block torn down to the crankshaft and the block together the coil is taken off.

Search this Thread