Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Size of bolts on Briggs and Stratton blower-housing

Non-US

05-31-08, 05:47 AM   #1  
Size of bolts on Briggs and Stratton blower-housing

Hi,

I have been trying to remove the blower housing on an old Briggs and Stratton lawnmower engine we have (to replace the starter cord). However, the bolt-heads are not of a metric size, and I only have wrenches with metric jaw sizes. Before I invest in a set of wrenches with imperial jaw-sizes (nowhere around here sells them separately), I wanted to check that that's what I actually need.

It's between 9 and 10 millimetres. I'm guessing it's 3/8 of an inch (9.525 mm), but would like to check if anyone here has experience with these engines before spending any money. It's hard to gauge with just a ruler (I don't have a caliper), but it certainly looks approximately 9.5 mm.

Based on the chart at http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/~psc/spa...Jaw_Size_Table , I'm guessing it's either "3/8 AF" or "1 BA". Can anyone clarify?

The Illustrated Parts List available for briggsandstratton.com only identifies the bolt as a "screw" - it doesn't say what size it is.

Briggs and Stratton, Quantum Series
Model no. : 12F802
Part no. : 691108

P.S. I've tried an adjustable-spanner, but - even after applying penetrating oil - it seems it might only be making matters worse.

Sponsored Links

CA

05-31-08, 10:36 AM   #2  
You are correct, they have a 3/8 inch hex head on them the bolt itself is a 1/4 inch NC thread.

Non-US

05-31-08, 12:53 PM   #3  
Thanks for the clarification AAWrench. I felt I might be making much ado about little, but wanted to be sure.
Cheers.

Search this Thread