Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Gas Lawnmower help - Smoke coming out!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

VA

05-31-08, 08:09 AM   #1  
Gas Lawnmower help - Smoke coming out!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

The smoke is coming from my carburetor I don't know what the problem is just that too much smokes comes from the carburetor, but otherwise eveything else works fine. I just added new oil and gas.

also the lawnmower acts like it is choking and then sipts out a lot of smoke. Goes ok for a few seconds and then chokes again and spits out some more smoke. Then I turn it off thinking it might be serious.

brand is Yardworks from Canadian Tire
6.5 HP (model # unknown)
please help... thanks

Last edited by gregorylovesmov; 05-31-08 at 09:43 AM.

Sponsored Links

MO

05-31-08, 04:34 PM   #2  
Sounds like it has to much oil in it , check the oil level and post back. Have a good one. Geo

VA

06-02-08, 01:52 PM   #3  
Posted By: geogrubb Sounds like it has to much oil in it , check the oil level and post back. Have a good one. Geo
thanks for responding. Actually it had too little oil so i added it and it worked. After I was finished cutting my grass I checked the oil again and it was almost empty, however it did not seem to have been leaking. So why does the oil now go down so rappidly?

PS. Actually the thing that was smoking is called a muffler.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-02-08, 09:46 PM   #4  
Ahhh...from the carb could indicate too much oil. From the muffler would indicate that it's using oil...probably because of worn rings and/or damaged cylinder.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

VA

06-03-08, 02:06 PM   #5  
Posted By: cheese Ahhh...from the carb could indicate too much oil. From the muffler would indicate that it's using oil...probably because of worn rings and/or damaged cylinder.
How do I fix the worn rings on the piston? I mean I only had the lawmower for 3-4 years. So why should it give me problems already? Should I take it somewhere to get fixed?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-04-08, 12:20 AM   #6  
It might not be rings...could be a blown head gasket if it's an OHV engine, or a breather problem. If it's rings and cylinder, it's not worth fixing.

Check to see if oil is blowing into the air filter housing. If not, the head gasket is probably not the problem, and the piston rings and cylinder probably are. The best way to tell for sure is to pull the head off and have a look..

God bless!

VA

06-04-08, 01:39 PM   #7  
Posted By: cheese It might not be rings...could be a blown head gasket if it's an OHV engine, or a breather problem. If it's rings and cylinder, it's not worth fixing.

Check to see if oil is blowing into the air filter housing. If not, the head gasket is probably not the problem, and the piston rings and cylinder probably are. The best way to tell for sure is to pull the head off and have a look..
it's not worth fixing? I had the lawnmower for only 3-4 years. Or are you saying I should get it to a repair shop and they will fix it? But why did it break after only 3-4 years? It's pratically new machine.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-04-08, 11:31 PM   #8  
I said if it's the rings it's not worth fixing. If it's the head gasket, it probably is worth fixing. If it's the rings and cylinder, it will cost more then a new engine to repair it. I don't know why it broke....things just break. 3-4 years isn't new for a low-end push mower. Many of them have met their demise by then, depending on how they're used and cared for. Some last for 10-15 years.

Did you remove the air filter and look at it's condition?

You said it had too little oil, so you added oil and it worked. So it quit working before you found out that it was out of oil? If so, that is why it broke.

God bless!

Search this Thread