Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman Riding Mower Flooding immediately

VA

05-31-08, 09:30 AM   #1  
Craftsman Riding Mower Flooding immediately

I've got a 42" Craftsman riding mower with a B&G 16hp engine. I bought it used from a SE repair shop and it's been running fine for a couple years. I've used it this season a few times, but now when I try to start it, it fires up fine, runs for 20-30 seconds and shuts down and smells like gas. I've removed the air filter to see what happens and there is typically a puddle of gas in the housing. If I crank it over with the air filter off, I see a fountain of fuel spouting up into the carb. I don't know if that's right or not. So far I have replaced the air filter and fuel filter, snipped the ends of my fuel lines, generously sprayed the carb with cleaner. Any tips on what to check next would be greatly appreciated. Rebuilding the carb is beyond my comfort level, but anything less than that I'm willing to try!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-31-08, 08:28 PM   #2  
Yer gonna have to go into the carb to fix this one. If you want to give it a try, we can help.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

VA

06-01-08, 07:19 AM   #3  
Okay I'll Try It

Okay- I'll give it a shot. I've got the filter housing off already and the carb looks managable... any help will be appreciated!

Thanks!

VA

06-01-08, 10:53 AM   #4  
So I pulled the carb by removing the two bolts at the bottom and then took it apart by pulling the 4 machine screws from the top. I cleaned out the float chamber and sprayed all the ports with carb cleaner. Then I blew out all the ports with compressed air. I made sure the float was moving easily and put it all back together. I also went ahead and changed the spark plugs. When I cranked it up, it did the same thing - ran for a few seconds and then died in a pool of gas. What did I miss?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-01-08, 09:03 PM   #5  
Did you remove the float and inlet needle? Sounds to me like there is some trash stuck under the needle, keeping it from seating in the seat to shut off the gas. You can remove the top of the carb without removing the entire carb from the engine...just take out those 4 screws that hold the top on. Pull the float pin and inspect and clean the needle and seat.

God bless!

VA

06-02-08, 12:04 PM   #6  
I did do that and it all looked clean. I suppose I need to hit it again and really make sure. I wonder if the float needs to be replaced. Like perhaps the little tab that pushes the pin up has become "soft"... Is that a common thing?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-02-08, 09:52 PM   #7  
Yours has the plastic float? (older models had brass floats). If so, I doubt it needs to be replaced. I would suggest replacing the inlet needle and clean the seat well with a Q-tip soaked with carb cleaner and make sure the float moves up and down with no resistance.

God bless!

Search this Thread