Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Deere GT235 w/B&S 18 HP Vertical V-Twin Engine

TX

06-01-08, 12:36 AM   #1  
Deere GT235 w/B&S 18 HP Vertical V-Twin Engine

This Engine recently started loping and/or surging, especially at idle but also somewhat at any throttle setting. I have cleaned and gaped both plugs, replaced the air cleaner and fuel filter, cleaned the carburetor, and changed the oil & filter. However during reassembly I noticed a small (vacuum?) hose about 3/32" inside diameter attached to the carburetor between the choke and the fuel intake that is not (now) connected on the other end. The engine starts easily. If I plug this hose with the engine running it seems to run a little smoother. However, with the hose plugged the engine will not crank. I suspect that this loose hose is the source of the problem, but I cannot determine where the loose end should be connected. Any ideas would be appreciated. The tractor is a little over 8 years old, has been well maintained, and up until now has performed well in spite of rough terrain.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-01-08, 09:51 PM   #2  
That hose is the bowl vent. It goes nowhere, the hose is just there to keep critters and dirt out of the carb. It should just hang a few inches from the carb. The surging/loping is caused by lean fuel mixture and should be taken care of with a good carb cleaning. Sometimes these carbs are a pain to get clean, and you have to verify that each and every passage is clear and clean.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

TX

06-01-08, 10:22 PM   #3  
Carburetor Vent

Thanks Mr. Cheese,
At least I now know I am not crazy or blind.
However I doubt my ability to do much more in the way of carburetor cleaning. Might it be easier to just replace the carb with a new one?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-02-08, 10:30 PM   #4  
Yup, it would be easier, just not cheaper. It might be the short road to the same destination if you just replace it now though.

God bless!

TX

06-03-08, 11:11 PM   #5  
New Carburetor

Thanks Mr. Cheese.
I have not checked for the exact carburetor needed for this engine, but I have found a new one that is the same series and looks identical for less than $90.
I believe I will check on the exact item needed and order it. I can then replace the entire carburetor which should clear up any other carb problems as well. Then I can work on the old one and if I screw it up, no problem. It I do OK, then I will have a replacement, if ever needed.
If the rules of this forum allow, you might recommend the best source to purchase a new carburetor.
Thanks again.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-03-08, 11:57 PM   #6  
I don't really know. I don't usually order parts online. Jacks small engines seems to be a popular spot that I've heard good reports about. If you get your carb number, check ebay and you might find a new one there for even less.

God bless!

Search this Thread