riding mower linkage

Old 06-01-08, 11:27 AM
wwc
riding mower linkage

I have a turfmaster 12/39 riding mower.

it started a couple times ago where it was hard to shift into other gears while running but finally it stopped going into gear completely and acted like it was in neutral, i looked underneath and a linkage rod is disconnected and i can't tell where it goes. but it looks like a tab is broken off and is still attached to the end of the rod.
any idea where it goes and what i should do about it?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-08, 08:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sorry, I don't know about a "turfmaster 12/39". Who made it? What is the model#? Generally, I would say look at the top of the tranny in front of the input pulley for the shifter point of attatchment on most mowers.

Old 06-02-08, 08:25 AM
wwc
I think it might have been made by Dynamark ?

the model number is 3912-1300

it is attached at the front but it is unattached at the rear and I don't see where it is supposed to attach at back there.

it also says on a tag on the back Turfmaster by Noma industries

Last edited by wwc; 06-02-08 at 08:44 AM. Reason: added more content
Old 06-02-08, 10:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is this a 3-speed? Are you looking on top of the tranny for the shifter?

Old 06-03-08, 06:18 PM
wwc
It's a five speed, but today underneath it more in better light i found that the drive belt had come off at the front pulley and thats why i ddin't notice at the back end by the trans.
but still there is the linkage problem, i'm not sure what it does, but it is actually hooked one end to the rear portion of the deck on top and the rod has a threaded end with a nut still on it and also the tab looks like it might have been tac welded in two places, the tab is about the size of a new dollar coin.
the linkage is pointing towards the left side that is unattached.

Old 06-04-08, 12:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
No idea other than it sounds like maybe a deck hanger with height adjustment. Without looking at another, you'll just have to move the rod around to different spots on the mower and see where it makes logical sense for it to have been attatched and see the weld spots on the frame where it came loose from.

Old 06-04-08, 10:19 AM
wwc
I have moved it around to find a likely location of where it could have been attached to but no luck, i bought it used so maybe it's been of all along and I never noticed and the weld spots are worn away now.
it's not a height adjustment, it runs horizontaly to the deck top and attaches to a arm and belt pulley that moves when the blades are engaged.

Hope that helps some.

Old 06-04-08, 11:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yeah, that helps. Sounds like it was a blade brake. It would have been mounted to a springsteel flat piece of metal next to a blade pulley and when the blades were shut off, it would push the brake pad against the pulley to slow it down. They commonly break at the thin flat metal part that mounts to the deck.

Old 06-05-08, 07:47 PM
wwc
ok so i don't need to worry about it then, just be carefull around the blades to never touch or let anything touch under there till it's for sure way stopped.

one other thing it has a flat rear tire now because of a crack in the tread, ( the rear tires are pretty worn )
I can't find anyone who sells just the tires without the wheel installed so i was thinking of a tube for it. the tires are 20x8-8
i saw a tube that was size 20x 8.8 is that the correct tube or will it fit atleast?
everyone wants close to 60 dollars plus tax for one tire/wheel. seems kinda high.

Old 06-06-08, 12:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like the right tube.

Old 06-06-08, 02:20 PM
wwc
Thanks for your help.