Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

MTD tranny question

NY

06-01-08, 02:13 PM   #1  
MTD tranny question

Greetings everyone,

I have a Cub Cadet 1170 with a MTD 618-0307B tranny on it. Anyone know how or if I should re-grease this thing?

I am replacing all the belt and have a Brand New 21hp Briggs on it so I figured I should do a little maintenance on the tranny to. Problem is I can't find any type of drain plug or grease fittings on this thing.

Anyone have any ideas?

Sponsored Links

TN

06-01-08, 03:13 PM   #2  
More than likely you'll have to pull the transaxle out and split the case to clear out the the old grease or add new stuff.
Just be sure to use bentonite grease when you re-lube it...
This is especially important if you're just adding to the existing grease: thumbup:

NY

06-03-08, 04:22 PM   #3  
Anyone know where I can get bentonite grease? Not Autozone, Advance Auto or the 2 local Cub Cadet dealers.

Any ideas?

KY

06-05-08, 06:32 AM   #4  
It is filled with grease at the factory, and should not
need any added. If moisture has gotten into it, then disassembly and thorough cleaning is needed to remove the rust, but if it is working well, I would suggest that you
leave it alone. Just ny opinion.

Fish

WI

06-05-08, 08:19 AM   #5  
Posted By: racinnation Anyone know where I can get bentonite grease? Not Autozone, Advance Auto or the 2 local Cub Cadet dealers.

Any ideas?
Your best bet is a Tecumshe dealer. It comes in a tube and is semi fluid. I do not have the tecumshe or peerless part number handy at home.

Search this Thread