Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Easiest way to change blades on 42" Craftsman mower...

LA

06-02-08, 03:21 AM   #1  
Easiest way to change blades on 42" Craftsman mower...

I need to change the blades on my lawn tractor and was wondering what the easiest way to do this would be....any suggestions/advice?

Sponsored Links

PA

06-02-08, 08:35 AM   #2  
The absolute easiest way is to get someone else to do it for you. The method I use is to have a spare set of already sharpened blades ready, a small wire brush, the proper size 1/2" drive 6 point socket, a 1/2" drive breaker bar, good leather work gloves, and a couple of shortish pieces of wood 2"x4". I use the wire bruch to clean off the bolt heads or nuts that hold the blades in place so the socket fits correctly. I use the wood to jam the blade tip against the mower housing to prevent the blade from rotating when I loosen the bolts. I grab the presharpened blades and reattach with the hardware I had just removed, making sure I put a drop of oil or two on the threads and again using the wood blocks to jam the blade in place. An air wrench would make removal of stubborn bolts a definite plus.

AL

06-02-08, 09:44 AM   #3  
Along with the other suggestions, I put two wheels on a set of car ramps to get the deck well off the ground.

WI

06-02-08, 05:27 PM   #4  
The easiest way to change the blades is to trade it in for a different one. When you reinstall the blades, keep the rolled up edge on the back of the blade close to the deck and the sharp edge down. I get more of these units in with them upside down and they were just sharpened.

Search this Thread