Chainsaw, Craftsman no lube to bar/chain

Old 06-02-08, 10:33 AM
Chainsaw, Craftsman no lube to bar/chain

I have an 18" bar, 42cc Craftsman chainsaw that does not seem to be getting lube to the bar and chain. I have removed the outer case and cleaned thoroughly, but does not seem to have helped.

Any help?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-08, 05:18 PM
What are the model numbers or sears numbers of the unit? Most of the new units are made by Poulan/Husquvarna and your oil pump probably has stripped the gear.

Old 06-03-08, 07:19 AM
dont have the model # with me (am at work), but have heard of a "tube roller" method of feeding the oil? are you familioar with this? how difficult to change that tube?

Old 11-20-08, 05:52 AM
Craftsman/Poulan 18 in Chainsaw No Bar Oil

Hello,

I have a Craftsman 42cc 18 inch bar chainsaw model #358.350480 (it was made by Poulan) that has leaked bar oil since just after going out of warranty and now has quit pumping oil to the bar. I am guessing that the worm gear has stripped and I am looking for a manual that tells me how to get to the pump to replace it along with the oil tank seals. All I have been able to find online are parts manuals and owners manuals, I need a service manual.

It will cost me around $75 in parts (new pump, seals, bar and chain) to get this saw in proper working order our local Home Depot is currently have a refurb sale with several 18 inch Homelight saws for $65 and I am tempted to chuck the Craftsman and purchase the Homelight to save the hassle of the repair, does anyone have an opinion?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Old 11-21-08, 05:59 PM
oil pump repair

Your saw is pretty straight forward on the repair that you do not need a manual. First you remove your bar and chain. Then remove the clutch assembly. This can be done by removing the spark plug and using a length of rope placed in the spark plug hole to hold the piston from moving and then remove the clutch in the left hand thread direction. Then remove the shield held on by a screw. The pump is just behind the shield. While the pump is out, you should remove the oil tank cap and lightly blow out the line. You should see a flat spot on the pump gear. If so replace with a new pump. Reverse the procedure to install the new pump.

Old 11-21-08, 06:06 PM
As far as buying that Homelite at Home Depot, you would be wasting you time and money. Parts are real iffy for these units. Sometimes I can get them but most of the time my suppliers are dropping the line due to the ability to get parts also. You would be better to pick up a Poulan Pro saw which is built on the same assembly line with Husqvarna and others. When you have repaired these saws as long as me, these are some of the easier units to get parts. By the way, your part is a kit #530071259 which can be purchase else where than Sears.

Old 11-24-08, 07:34 PM
Thank you for the information, I was going to pull the trigger and buy the Homelite tomorrow but now I will just purchase the repair kit instead.

Based on what I was told at Sears the saw I have is a Poulan Pro in Craftsman colors -- I don't know other than the parts are Poulan parts.

Do you have any idea how to stop the oil tank from leaking? This saw has leaked since a week after the warranty expired, if it is easy enough, while I am in there....

Thank you again.

Mike W

Old 11-25-08, 05:22 PM
There can be two problems with the tank leaking. Most of the time I have found the oil tank cap starts to swell or the o-ring does not seal. I generally replace the oil tank cap. You can clean the saw up and see where the oil appears from, fill side or the chain side. On the chain side, the tube to the oil pump could have come off. One thing about this unit is that there is a one way air valve to allow the oil to be pumped out and air to come in. When the saw is warm and cools down air is drawn in the tank. Then when the outside air warms up the saw the air expands and pushes the oil out the weak point, general the cap o-ring or through the pump. It is hard to keep or limit the oil leakage. I try to keep the oil level low when I store the saw and drain the fuel. The parts are all compatable with Poulan parts and have repaired many with either Husqvarna colors or Poulan colors. It gives a rainbow effect.

Search this Thread