Like running over speed bumps ...

Old 06-03-08, 08:52 AM
Like running over speed bumps ...

Mower: Yard Machine by MTD
Model: 13BK608G129
Engine: B&S I/C 17hp Twin II (42A707)

Just this past weekend, I jumped back on the mower (was carrying mulch around all day in the wagon), started it up, and stepped on the pedal only to hear a loud screech, some smoke (white) and no movement. I checked the belt and everything looked fine. I read in another form where the guy rocked while putting in into gear and got it going, tried the same thing and it worked. I thought I had solved my own problem until it happened again. Only this time after rocking for 10 minutes still nothing. I could engage the blades just fine. I took the belt off to see if it was the belt that was smoking, it was not, it's not much smoke but it is visible. I got a new PTO belt and gave it another shot, same thing. I tried the rocking trick again and it worked.

Now I have a new problem ... about every full turn of the wheel I get a bump like I'm running over a small (very small) speed but, the pedal knocks (like someone is chopping my foot) and gets harder the faster I go.

I think the bump started when I went down a hill too fast in Drive, but then it was just a noise, now you can feel it.

Please help ...

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-08, 12:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The bump in the pedal is caused by a thin spot on the transmission belt where it burned when you saw the smoke. Every time the thin spot makes it's way into the pulley, it falls deeper into the Vgroove, causing the bump you feel.

Old 06-04-08, 07:15 AM
I'll take a look at the transmission belt tonight. My only concern is that the smoke was coming from the front of the mower and it looks like the transmission belt is under the seat.

Thanks!

Old 06-04-08, 07:45 AM
Your transmission belt starts at the engine and goes to the transmission. You will have to remove the deck and Pto belt to look at the transmission belt. Check your Idlers for freedom of movement, rotation, etc. Also check your brake for releasing. Ususally the pins that push in on the disc brake pad will stick and you can clean them up so the brake releases after being locked on for Parking.

Old 06-17-08, 12:33 PM
happened again ...

Welp, you were right (not that I thought you were wrong). The transmission belt was notched. I replaced it and everything was fine until last weekend ... getting ready to mow and the same thing happened ... won't move. Tried rocking it and a couple of different gears, when I would press on the pedal, I could feel tension like it was trying but wouldn't budge, then i heard a clank. The top part of the transaxle came off (in a piece). I reached up there and could feel the grease inside. I guess my only option now is to replace the transaxle? How difficult is this (i.e. blood, sweat, & tears)? I'm afraid this may just happen again in a couple of years (a buddy said same thing happened to his), any idea how much money I could get out of it if I sold it with this known issue?

Old 06-17-08, 11:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Wow,...talk about the good news and then the bad news....

The tranny is pretty much straight forward to replace. Look around, used ones should be cheap enough to find. There's probably one or two at your local lawn mower repair shop. Blood, ....we hope not. Sweat,...if you live anywhere near here, you're going to sweat no matter what you're doing. Tears, ...only tears of joy when you get it mowing grass again. Ok, maybe that was stretching it a little...

I don't think you can expect to get much for it with a bad tranny. Not many folks are in the market for broken lawnmowers, .

Old 06-18-08, 06:23 AM
Thanks Cheese! You've been a great help! I'll follow that path ...

Search this Thread