Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

oil coming thru breather tube

AL

06-04-08, 03:49 PM   #1  
oil coming thru breather tube

Hello. I have a briggs 6.5 hp model 123K12. It is on an excell pressure washer. The problem I am having is that oil seems to be blowing thru the breather tube and into the air filter. I have replaced the breather and put a new head gasket on, the valves looked good but I am still having the problem. It is not smoking. Could the rings be bad? thanks for your help. susie

Sponsored Links

MO

06-04-08, 04:25 PM   #2  
Check the oil level, it sounds like it is over full. Have a good one. Geo

AL

06-04-08, 09:03 PM   #3  
thanks for your reply but I checked the oil and it is fine. any other ideas? susie

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-04-08, 11:10 PM   #4  
Does it have the proper oil cap on it, and the o-ring on it?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

AL

06-05-08, 07:39 PM   #5  
Well I will try a new o ring and see what happens. Thanks for your help.

06-07-08, 09:55 PM   #6  
If the oil is not overfilled then it sounds like the cylinder wall is scored or gouged.
When you had the head off did you look in or feel with your fingers inside the cylinder wall?

AL

06-09-08, 08:07 PM   #7  
yes I did notice some very slight scratches in the cylinder, but only a couple. I put a new o ring on the oil fill cap and that did help some. I think it will be fine till this winter and then will try and put new rings in. thanks for all your help.

AL

06-13-08, 01:02 PM   #8  
Oil comming from the breather tube could be caused by a number of things,Since the crankcase in supposed to hold a vaccum anything to upset this Condition will make oil blow from the breather.A lown head gasket,bady worn rings,a leaky sump gasket,a bad PTO. oil ,cracked dip stick tube,or cap,If you engine uses compulsion to make the fuel pump work,even this tube could cause excessive air to build up in the crankcase.And I have seen,in reair cases the popit valve in the breather itself was sprung and not working.

Search this Thread