Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Briggs engine smoking and carb

IL

06-08-08, 07:19 AM   #1  

Hi, I have a 5hp Briggs engine model130202 on a rototiller it runs ok hard to start unless I add starting fluid to air cleaner. I have blue smoke comming out of the muffler every so often I wonder what is causing this?
I cleaned and rebuilt the carb found rust on carb and gas tank was dirty cleaned tank, it has only one adjustment needle screw on carb, and when I turn it in and out it does nothing to change the engine speed nor does it bog it down.
I wonder if I have a valve problem or what may be causing the problem?
Thank You,

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-08-08, 08:28 PM   #2  
The adjustment screw probably won't change much unless you're adjusting it at idle. If it won't idle, or it doesn't make any difference at idle, then you probably still have carb problems. These engines are prone to valve problems IF it is left outdoors where water can get in the carb throat. If so, it will run straight to the valve and rust it. If you suspect valves, do a compression check. If water got in it, that could also be the smoking problem because of rusted rings and probably a scored cylinder.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

IL

06-09-08, 05:22 AM   #3  

Cheese, thank you for your response it runs good, I have not tried it under load this year, and yes it was left outside covered and I did find some rust in the carb throat and the throttle vavle is rusted the vavle stems at least were you can see by removing the carb and muffler are clean.

Can you please tell me what kind of compression reading I should get and what the head bolts should be torqued too.

Thank You,

AL

06-14-08, 12:45 PM   #4  
I have a similar problem.

On my 5Hp Briggs, on a Tiller.
I put new rings in the engine and took the glaze off the cylinder with a Wheel Cylinder hone. (dad's old stuff)
I lapped the valves. (more of dad's stuff ) and when I did, I had to take some off the end of the Intake valve. I wound up with a gap of .003 and not .005 (Dad's Go-no-Go feeler guages. )

This is a Pulsajet carb.
I replaced the gasket at the Carb/block junction, the Gasket at the Carb/Tank and the Diaphram that does the pumping.
I soaked the Carb in Berrymans for almost a week. I blew it out and washed it good to make sure there was no residue from the cleaning.

I tested the upper tank with Alcahol. It does not have any pinholes in it.

When I put it together it started on the second pull. I was amazed.

But....it runs kinda raggedy. It will hold a steady RPM, but missfire frequently. When it missfires, a puff of smoke comes out the exhaust.
It does not seem to be burning the oil. At least not at a noticable rate.
The Plug is dry and sooty black.

It's got me stumped. I'm sure glad I'm not in the business of making one of these things run for customers.

Electric, I'm sorry but I never checked the compression after I replaced the rings.
Before, when it wouldnt run hardly at all, the compression was right at 60 lbs.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-14-08, 10:30 PM   #5  
Look for around 90psi or better.

It sounds like your engine is running a bit rich hoary. Set the mixture screw at 1 1/2 turns out from lightly seated and make sure the choke is open all the way and the air filter is clean.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

AL

06-16-08, 09:49 PM   #6  
Thanks Cheese.
That Air filter is old and dirty. I dont know where the Screw is right now. I moved it in and out a lot.
It got the Melon patch done finally. I had to use Carb Clearner to get it started. New plug didnt make a difference.
As soon as some of these other crisis' get solved I'll get back to it and let you know what it was, if its interesting.

Search this Thread