1960's Briggs engine, no spark, ideas?

Old 06-10-08, 03:28 PM
1960's Briggs engine, no spark, ideas?

Okay, firstly don't laugh, just because its old doesn't mean its a bad mower... I get enough jibes from my neighbors.

Earlier this year I got a 1960's era Hahn Eclipse Rolloway 25" reel mower <website of images of this type of mower). Truly a great mower. That after using it and seeing the golf course grade cut it offers, makes me sad they don't make them anymore...

But anywho, here's my current situation, I've been using this mower... oh... about twice a week for 2 months. Always started on the first pull.
But now it has no spark and obviously won't run.

Here's what I can say about the engine: it's a 1960's era Briggs&Stratton 3HP(? no decals are left on engine) horizontal shaft engine with the carburetor and gas tank kinda built together in one piece, and with a sort of gear differential built on the drive shaft itself that then drives a chain to a impeller bar that drives 2 more chains for the blades and self propelling.

I can post pictures of my machine later if it would help.

Honestly I'm hesitant to begin tinkering with the engine too much without a manual or knowing if parts are available should some be broken or I break it while tinkering...
I'm hoping its a simple fix, and that someone on here is more knowledgeable about this particular engine and my current situation with... well... lacking current...

edit: I have tried other spark plugs, no go...

Thanks.

Last edited by ScrewLoose; 06-10-08 at 03:30 PM. Reason: info
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-08, 03:49 PM
The points may need cleaning & re-gapping, or possible replacement.
The points are under the flywheel, which depending on model may be held on by a reverse (right) threaded nut.
With the flywheel off there's a small tin cover held by 2 bolts that covers the points & condenser. The points can be cleaned of corrosion (a little emery cloth works well) and re-gapped to .020
A pic may help ID the engine's model in the event you need to purchase points & condenser.

Old 06-10-08, 05:41 PM
Agree with oldchevy but before you go pulling flywheel, especially if are not familiar disconnect the ground wire from the coil and then check for spark. You may have a short, it seems a little unusually if you have been using twice a week and it started on 1st pull that the points all of a sudden got mucked up enough to not spark. Also follow spark plug wire to coil and be sure mice have not chewed and that is shorting. With no numbers available if you choose to buy new points and condensor PN# 299061 should work. If I was going to pull flywheel I would not chance cleaning points I would install new points and condensor, that way it is a one shot deal. Just sold one of those, cool little things. Good luck.

Old 06-10-08, 05:49 PM
I second that... I tend to go right for the most labor intensive cause, and overlook the easy and sometimes obvious.

Old 06-10-08, 08:51 PM
Thanks to both of you for the imput!
See, this is why I like this forum, such knowlegeable people that answer so fast...

Well the good news the mower is running again!
I took apart the flywheel, nearly broke the ball-bearing asembly doing so, but I got it off, got to the points case and found that the points were gummy, there was some sort of sticky resin stuff bridging them which I think was part of the plastic seal ring that had melted, so I just gently cleaned that off and reset them, put it all back together and its good as new, ready to mow for another 40+ years...

Though, after thoroughly checking it out today, I think at the end of this season, I'll take it into my shop for real and tear it down and give it a good cleaning as there's a LOT of carbon build up inside, the piston doesn't glide so well in its travel and the muffler is rusted to being paper-thin... maybe change the points...

Last edited by ScrewLoose; 06-10-08 at 08:55 PM. Reason: info

Search this Thread