Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Yazoo Self-Propelled 26" Master Mower

MD

06-10-08, 05:55 PM   #1  
Yazoo Self-Propelled 26" Master Mower

I recently bought a used Yazoo self-propelled 26" walk behind Master Mower. Since I changed the tire height from the lowest deck setting to the second setting to cut the grass a little long, and then back to the lowest again to lower the blade, I'm having difficulty setting the steel propulsion gears' tension that contact the large tires. They gear drive seems to work fine on the flat, but the slightest grade causes the gears to stop and I find myself pushing the mower uphill. The tires are inflated to the labeled recommended air pressure. I tried tightening the two rods equally in their turnbuckles and I tried loosening them, but it doesn't seem to be effective. Should the steel gear teeth really dig into the tire tread, or should they just barely touch the tire? The tires are not grooved to match the steel gear teeth. Could it be the drive belt is slipping? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as it's weight is beating me to death! Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

CANADA

06-10-08, 07:43 PM   #2  
I really don't know much about these units but I would try and trace the drive train out, watch each part as it functions and verify it's working properly then go onto the next piece in the drive train being extremely careful of course.

Last winter my SnowFlite 10/28 snowblower started giving me moving problems. I was able to eventually trace the problem to some slightly bent linkage on this 10year old machine.

Good Luck
Wayne.

CA

06-10-08, 07:52 PM   #3  
If the drive cogs quit turning when the load is increased (i.e. going up a hill) then the problem lies in the part of the drive that turns the shaft the cogs are installed on. The drive belt may be slipping, or the cogs could be installed on the wrong side and the pins are not engaging the drive cogs.

Search this Thread