Garden tractor ignition problem

Old 06-11-08, 01:40 PM
Garden tractor ignition problem

I have a Craftsman Garden Tractor model 917.273011 with 20hp Kohler CV20S engine. 8 years old
Turn the key nothing happens. Replaced ignition switch, solenoid and switch,plunger at the clutch. Pulled starter, cleaned and checked brushes, works. Seat switch I jumped with a loop and light tested. The engine starts if I jump accross the solenoid. Is there another safety switch I am missing?

While running I have a surging problem when warm. It appears to run lean, if I pull choke out a little it goes away.
It does backfire changing throttle. I clearned carb several times with Gumout. Do I need to replace gaskets?
Both ignition modules were replaced, animal ate the leeds.

Thank you for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-08, 07:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you check the fuse? It may be blown.

Old 06-11-08, 09:28 PM
Yes, I did check everytime I tried starting with the key. It will start jumping the solenoid with a screw driver. I even switched out using another fuse to be certain. It has to be before the solenoid. the solenoid does not click using the key. Amp meter stays in the center value when I use key for ignition. Lights work, meter in negative. The relay asm. has not been replaced, could be the problem?

Old 06-13-08, 01:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Could be a relay, but I prefer to check things and replace what's bad rather than just replace stuff and hope.

Do you have a voltmeter or test light?

Old 06-13-08, 04:49 AM
Wink

lawn mowers have safety switches in the Start-relay circuit.
One or more of those Switches could be open.

You need a test light or a Meter to know if you are getting the +12 volts to the start solenoid.
Find that out and c'mon back.

Old 06-13-08, 03:32 PM
Yes, I have both test meter and light. I have 13 volts to the solenoid. The items replaced were in need of replacement after 8 years. The ignition switch had a mud nest inside. After taking it apart, cleaning and re greasing there was play with the key. key hole enlarged I replaced it. The relay I am thinking of I thought was for the driving lights.
Thanks for all the help I appreciate it.

Old 06-13-08, 10:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is another switch, the PTO switch, which will not allow the engine to start if defective. Check for power from the ignition switch during cranking and trace it to the point where it is lost to find the problem area. Here is a wiring diagram that may help you see what is involved.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/retrieveSubComponentPartsAction.action?diagramPageId=00001&componentDescription=ELECTRICAL&documentId=P8080191&modelNumber=917273011&productCategoryId=1509200&brandId=0247&modelName=20%20HP%20ELECTRIC%20START%20%206%20SPEED%2046"%20GARDEN%20TRACTOR&backToLink=Return%20to%20Sub%20Components

I didn't mean that you didn't need the parts you replaced, I just didn't want to guess if it was a bad relay or not without testing it first.

Old 06-14-08, 03:16 PM
PTO switch is OK. I can even hear it click on and off with key on juice both sides. Narrowed to the relay, loose wire or faulty ground.

Old 06-14-08, 10:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The pto switch does more than turn the clutch on and off. It makes the connection for the starting circuit and safety circuit as well.

Old 06-17-08, 01:47 PM
The tractor is now working correctly and I can not say why?
End of May I replace oil filter, fuel filter, plugs and air filter with pre filter. I only used the tractor twice because of the ignition problem. Today, as I was arching across the soleniod I noticed some pre filter sticking out of the spark plug hole.
I removed the pieces and checked the air filter. I removed what was left of the pre filter, chipmonk or mouse damage.
Out of habit I tried to start the engine with the key, it started. I tried several tmes, it starts?
Thanks again for everyones help.

Old 06-17-08, 11:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Strange, huh? I wonder if a mouse might have chewed a wire a bit and while you moved things around removing the prefilter, maybe it made connection again? Who knows, but glad to hear it's fixed. I guess if it messes up again, you'll have a better idea of what to look for (wiring or loose connection problem).