Sears transaxle??

Old 06-11-08, 02:51 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sears transaxle??

Lth2000-006a transaxle on a 917.273664.Makes grinding noises and causes lawn tractor to jerk with no power--can easily stop it by hand(belt/pulley/brake are good). It will go a bit when driven very very slowly--speed makes problem worse, also tight turns bring it back. Both forward and reverse are affected but much much worse forward. Only 65 hours on the machine. So I assume its the transaxle...correct? Used it to plow heavy snow.The Peerless manual(740045) which is supposed to cover this unit doesn't so I'm working blind. I have the unit off the tractor but have never split open a case. Advice, tricks? The oil in the case is milky gray. thanks,Joe

Old 06-11-08, 07:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Sounds like it's toasted. The milky grey color in the oil says it all...that's aluminum in the oil. This tranny can't work hard for long periods of time pushing/pulling a load. It will overheat and wear out. You need a GT series mower which is more suited for that purpose than an LT, which is basically just for lawn work. Here's an exploded view of the tranny with parts list : http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...onents#diagram

Hope that helps, but it's not good news. I'm not sure you'll be able to buy pump parts seperately.

Old 06-12-08, 06:12 AM
F
Thanks Cheese. Do you think I should replace the hydro and transaxle, Or just the transaxle?

Old 06-12-08, 11:55 AM
F
Opened the case--everything looked good except the brake shaft gear and neutral sleeve, and of course fluid color. Ordered new transaxle unit. Parts would have been cheaper but the original transaxle has been replaced with a modification--hmm -- they added the letter "A" to the number. Hopefully that will prevent the problem from reoccurring. It looks like the shift lever pin had some wear casing slippage and eventual failure of the gears that engage the hydro. End of story I hope.

Old 06-13-08, 12:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hopefully that'll do it. Keep us informed!

Old 06-24-08, 11:04 AM
F
Fixed. Wasn't difficult to do.

Old 06-24-08, 11:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it fixed! Thanks for the update!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: