Craftsman Eager 1 problems

Old 06-11-08, 03:26 PM
Craftsman Eager 1 problems

I have a Craftsman Eager 1 with the 6.75 hp engine and (non-working) electric start. It was a hand-me-down from my grandmother-in-law. Last year it ran great until the end of the season and this season it is getting worse. It runs great for the first 30 min on the back of my lot which is about 200 by 100 and slopes up about 15 feet. When I get near the end of the back and especially in the front it wants to choke out and die. Most of the time it is right after I make a turn or go into the curvert in the front. It sputters blows black smoke and then dies. Some times I am able to save it. Most of the time I cannot. It then takes about 30 pumps of the primer bulb in order to get it restarted and it may go for the rest of the yard or 10 feet. I have check the plug, oil and air filter and have run carb cleaner through the whole thing.

Here are the things that I have noticed: 1. the problem seems to happen when there is low gas. 2. If I add gas then it seems to help the problem but it might do it agian. 3. Here is the really interesting part: Today it was about 85 out and I noticed that when the engine died and I reoved the gas cap it seemed like the gas was actually boiling from the front of the tank near where the gas enters the carb. I know that boiling gas is a really bad thing.....anyone have any ideas? THANKS

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-08, 07:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is the engine getting excessively hot? Are the cooling fins caked with oily clippings and dust? If so, clean them out well...even remove the engine shroud and clean it well between the fins on the cylinder.

Old 06-15-08, 05:25 PM
The Engine is very hot, hard to tell what excessively is. THe cooling fans are clean, no oil no grass. They have been clean since I ownd the mower. Any ideas?

Old 06-16-08, 10:21 AM
Is there enough clean fresh oil in the engine case ? if not get some in there -- but not too much just what the indicators says is good.

Old 06-16-08, 08:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hard to say....I'm thinking lean fuel mixture possibly combined with low compression causing the problem? Does the engine surge up and down at times (especially when you first start it)?

Old 06-17-08, 06:58 AM
Engine oil is good. I have replaced it this year, still have the problem. I have not noticed the engine surging. I have noticed when I first start that it sounds like it is not getting enough gas, sort of like knocking in a car. It lasts maybe 10 seconds and then it smooths out and runs until the tank gets down to about half, then it has the problems that I first listed. Thanks

Old 06-18-08, 12:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The knocking on startup makes me wonder...

Does it ever try to snatch the rope out of your hand when you start it? I think the flywheel key may be partially sheared, causing slightly advanced ignition timing. This could cause the knock, kickback once in a while, and excessive heat buildup. The half-tank of gas is probably coincidental with the amount of time it takes for the engine to reach such an overheated codition.

Old 06-18-08, 10:55 AM
I have not noticed it pulling back. What is the easiest way to check the flywheel key?

Old 06-18-08, 11:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Remove the flywheel nut and look at it. You'll have to remove the pull starter from the top to gain access to the nut.