Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawnboy Transmission question...

MN

06-11-08, 07:38 PM   #1  
Lawnboy Transmission question...

I've been looking at the Lawn Boy 10795 and the Toro 20092, which I know are pretty similar and made by the same manufacturer. I prefer the Honda engine on the Lawn Boy, but when I went to the local small engine place they did not recommend lawn boy mowers, even though they were an authorized dealer.

Their reasoning was that some of the Lawn Boy mowers use plastic gears in their sens-a-speed transmission and they've been replacing a ton. They also indicated that this wasn't a problem with the Toro models. It did seem to me a little like they wanted to sell the Toros they had in stock rather than special order a LB.....

I didn't ask about the 10795 specifically, and I can't find anything online indicating what material the gears are made of on this model. I would like to avoid buying a model with plastic gears for obvious reasons, does anyone know the answer to this?

Sponsored Links

CA

06-11-08, 08:01 PM   #2  
I find it highly suspect that they would use plastic gears in the Transmission on the Lawnboy mower. In any case, I could not find any information on the construction of the transmission on the Lawnboy, but I will say this, they do not list any parts available for it. It appears to be a remove and replace as an assembly, while you can get parts for the Toro.

The warranty is the same as on the Toro, 5 years and it does cover the transmission. I used to sell the Toro and Lawnboy and always had good luck with both of them, personally I would not hesitate to purchase either one.

MN

06-12-08, 06:54 AM   #3  
Thanks for looking at the assembly diagrams and the quick response.... I was out there looking at the diagrams and comparing p/n's, but couldn't really make any sense of it since the Lawnboy and Toro don't share common part numbers.

I was thinking that even if the Lawnboys do have plastic gears, it's probably the lower end(steel deck) models. Not the 10795. I'm still undecided on which to go with... but I appreciate your vote of confidence in both models.

MN

06-14-08, 01:11 PM   #4  
Just a quick followup.. I e-mailed Lawn-boy with my question about plastic gears in their sens-a-speed transmissions. I asked for a breakdown of what material the gears were made of for each trans. model number, and that it would greatly help me in my purchasing decision. Maybe I didn't phrase my question correctly, or maybe they are being a bit evasive. Either way, I went with the Toro 20092 so the money goes in the same pocket.

Here was their somewhat canned response:

"Thank you for taking the time to contact Lawn-Boy regarding our mowers.

The Wheel Pinions on our models are 15 tooth hardened powdered metal gears,
the only part that is plastic is the wheel assembly.

We value you as a Lawn-Boy customer. Please know that you have an open
invitation to contact us at any time."

CA

06-17-08, 12:55 PM   #5  
Possibly this was their response because the wheel drive gears are the only ones that can be replaced on the Lawnboy.

I think you will be very happy with the Toro, I for one think they are one of the best....

Search this Thread