Craftsman Lawn Tractor

Old 06-14-08, 07:10 PM
Craftsman Lawn Tractor

I have a Craftsman 48" Lawn Tractor with a 25HP B&S twin cylinder engine model 446777-0027, code 020403YG that ran out of fuel and now won't start. I have changed the sparkplugs and the fuel filter. I have spark at the plug from both coils. I cannot determine if the external vacuum operated fuel pump is working. The engine cranks or spins but never fires. This is all after adding fresh fuel. I suspect the fuel pump because with the pump disconnected from the carb, no fuel is pumped out, but I don't really know if it should. Both sets rocker arms move as the engine is rotated.

Help please.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-08, 09:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There should be fuel pumping from the hose between the carb and fuel pump. If there is not, check for fuel flow to the pump. If the fuel can flow freely to the pump, then the pump is bad. If the pump can't get fuel, then check for collapsed hoses, obstacle in the tank at the hose fitting, clogged fuel filter, etc...

Old 06-15-08, 05:55 AM
Cheese, thank you for the reply. From some of your previous posts I already learned and plan today to by-pass the fuel filter, but I really wasn't sure about fuel coming out between the fuel pump and the carb because I really didn't know how the vacumn fuel pump operated. Like I said previously, I have spark and the flywheel spins freely.

Old 06-15-08, 03:25 PM
Bypassed the fuel filter, replaced the fuel pump. Fuel to the pump but not to the Carb. Fresh fuel in the tank. Both plugs have a strong spark. Priming the carb didn't help any either. Intake and exhaust valves are moving as the engine rotates. What is next.

Stumped in Illinois

Old 06-16-08, 09:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd say fuel pump...but first make sure the oil cap is on snug, and the fuel line from the engine crankcase to the pump is good and on tight. If so, and during cranking you get no flow of fuel from the pump, then I'd say the pump is bad.

Old 06-18-08, 04:23 AM
Wink Thanks for the support

Cheese:

Thank you again for your reply. The oil cap was a new. The lines are tight. I had to bite the bullet and send it to the shop. Grass is getting behind and my work is taking me out of town most of the month. Push mower gets old quick. I will keep you posted on the final outcome.

But the forumn is good. Keep up the work, I learned a lot of people with a little knowledge may be better than a few know it alls.....

Search this Thread