Tecumseh 6.0hp quits every 5 minutes

Old 06-15-08, 10:19 AM
Unhappy Tecumseh 6.0hp quits every 5 minutes

My 6.0 Craftsman Tecumseh "one-pull" start, starts ok but after I mow for 10 minutes it quits and won't start again until about 5-10 minutes after sitting. Every time I mow, I get 10 minutes into it and the mower quits. I have to stop every 5 minutes then let it sit for 10 and it starts fine after it sits. It just quits during the mowing, like it is over heated or something. Plug, oil and fuel are good, it's like it overheats and shuts down (?). Again, everytime I let it rest for about 10 minutes, it starts with a couple of primes just fine. Is it odd that it even needs a prime after running for 10 minutes?
Nonetheless, I don't know what to do or how to begin to fix it. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!
Betty M.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-08, 11:54 AM
Try loosening the fuel cap to see if it makes a difference, under the cap there is a bell shaped baffel that sometimes comes off and drops into the tank. Have a good one. Geo

Old 06-15-08, 12:28 PM
Post all of your engine's and mower's model numbers
so we know what you have.

You may just have a layer of water in the carb, or need a valve adjustment, which if we knew which engine you
have, we could advise you better.

Fish

Old 06-23-09, 07:19 PM
2 things to check

Most likely the gas cap is not venting.....losen the screw on the bottom of the carb bowl and see if the fuel leaks out nicely...if not, then unscrew the cap. If the fuel resumes, you know it's the cap. On rare occasions it can be a cold plug getting too hot...use a hotter plug.

Old 06-23-09, 07:22 PM
It really sounds like your cap is not venting, but when you bring up the heat factor, I have had to replace "cold" plugs with hotter ones. As an engine ages, it runs hotter and hotter. The original engines come with cold plugs for easier starting, but breakdown as the engine gets older, then you need to use a hotter plug.

Old 06-23-09, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by Fisher40037 View Post
Post all of your engine's and mower's model numbers
so we know what you have.

You may just have a layer of water in the carb, or need a valve adjustment, which if we knew which engine you
have, we could advise you better.

Fish
If there's ANY water in the carb, it probably wouldn't run at all....flush your fuel system if you have any doubts. That's the first thing I do before I fix any mowers. People tend to use last year's gas, and that doesn't fly well at all. Since ethenol (alcohol) has been introduced into basic gasoline, it can cause a myriad of problems...gas goes bad faster, and it wreaks havoc on rubber parts, O-rings, seals, etc.

Old 06-23-09, 07:59 PM
glenny289;
This thread is a year old so it probably has been fixed. Have a good one. Geo