Poulan Pro running rough

Old 06-16-08, 08:12 AM
Poulan Pro running rough

We have a 18.5 HP Poulon Pro Lawn tractor. It is probably 6 or 7 years old. We bought it used, but from a relative who took really good care of it. This spring, it wouldn't start so we took it into a local repair shop. They did normal tune-up and replaced a clogged fuel line. We got it home and it would start but really ran rough. It would rev up and down. When pulled choke all the way out, it ran smoother, but every time we tried to push choke in, it would rev up and down or die. Took it back to repair shop and they replaced carborator. Have since used it twice with no problems, but yesterday, we mowed for about an hour with no problems. Then stopped it, filled gas tank and restarted. When we restarted, it did the revving thing again. Neither of us know a thing about engines. Finally just gave up and finished with the push mower.

Wondering a few things: Is there something we are doing wrong? Is there something simple we can check at home. Should the repair company have to fix again? Finally, is running it while it revs up and down dangerous for the engine?

I'm new here, so let me know if you need more info or if I should just suck it up and take it back to the shop.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-08, 11:32 AM
Hi JKATT,welcome to the best do it yourself fourm on the net.Sounds to me that when you refilled your mower the can/bottle had trash and or water in it.
I would,if it was mine,drain all the fuel/water out of the carb.and fuel pump.Replace the fuel filter.drain all the fuel out of the tank and strain,or put about 1/4 cup of alcohol in the fuel to dry up the water.

I wouldn't take the tractor back in to redo the repair.You stated that you used it twice with no problems since they replaced the carburetor.They had no control over the fuel you put in it.

And while bothersome for an engine to run while it revs up and down like that,I don't think it's dangerous unless the RPM's get real high and out of control.

NOTE: Metal fuel tanks sweat in the heat.always use plastic cans,put in shade when in use.Store in day cool place.Replace every 30 days.That's how long gas takes to go bad.