Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

John Deere RX73 stalls on laod

NY

06-16-08, 03:24 PM   #1  
John Deere RX73 stalls on laod

I have a riding lawn mower John Deere RX73.
I just cleaned the carb, it runs great., but when there is a load on the engine it stalls. I return the speed lever to neutral (while is bogging down) is will run great. In first gear (variator belts) it move ok..not great but moves. I put in any other gear it bogs down and stall...
I thought maybe the belts are worn or the variator pulley is shot..but I'm stuck....
Any clues?
Ray

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-16-08, 07:54 PM   #2  
The mower stalls, or the engine? When you say "stalls" and "bogs down", I'm thinking engine. If so, it could be a number of things like variator bearings, idler pulley bad, transmission problem, brake stuck, etc...

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

06-16-08, 08:41 PM   #3  
Thanks for responding.

The engine stalls and therefore stops moving. In first gear it moves and cut. In other speed positions it stalls.. I just examined the primary and secondary belts and they are very old and worn..The primary belt actually has a cracked almost right through. There also seems to be quite the collection of oil underneath. I'll give it a good cleaning and replace the belts and see if that helps. I don't think is has a transmission and think it changes belt size to accomplish speed changes.

Any help is appreciated.
Ray

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-16-08, 08:46 PM   #4  
It has a one speed transmission with fwd and rev. The speed changing is done as you stated. If the engine is stalling, I would expect there to be something binding. Oily belts would cause the mower to stall with the engine still maintaining speed. It definitely sounds like you need belts, so in the process of changing them, you may find whatever other problem(s) may or may not exist. It's been a while, but I think you may have to loosen the transmission mounting bolts and drop it a little to change belts if I'm remembering this mower correctly.

God bless!

NY

06-16-08, 09:02 PM   #5  
Cheese...your memory is correct... I borrowed the Clymers Service Manual from the Library. and the process for replacement is as you indicated. The engine stalls even with the mover blades not engaged... Did i mention I had to cleaned the carb as there was junk in the fuel and plugged some of the passages ways.... could I have adjusted the carb pilot screws incorrectly?
Ray

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-16-08, 09:06 PM   #6  
What if you just engage the blade, and keep your foot on the pedal. Does it still stall? If so, then yes...I'd say there is a fuel related problem rather than PTO problem.

God bless!

NY

06-16-08, 09:19 PM   #7  
Ok..I have 2 pedals...a clutch and brake.....which do u mean.
Also should I have any speed selected as I do the above test? If I remember correctly the blade spins in first speed but I can't be sure of the remaining speeds..but definitely in
1st speed with mower blade engaged it spins and moves....

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-16-08, 09:25 PM   #8  
By foot on the pedal, I just mean not moving/going anywhere. Try the blade in neutral or with the clutch pressed. While you're at it, keep it in neutral with the blade going and cycle the clutch pressed down and released to see if that makes any significant difference.

God bless!

NY

06-16-08, 09:41 PM   #9  
Cheese,
The blade spins no problem....the problem (stalling) is affected when the speed lever is engaged..with or without baleds engaged.
I run throught a series of test based on your suggestion and see if I make any headway....I'm just "praying" it's the belts...
Ray

Search this Thread