Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

murray automatic won't move

TN

06-18-08, 10:18 AM   #1  
murray automatic won't move

Hi, I've got the Murray 42" cut 14.5hp automatic lawn mower and it won't enage the rear wheels. The belt is turning the fan/pulley on top of the transaxle but nothing happens when the foot peddle is moved either way,,tractor doen't even attemp to move.
I've been reading through your forums and seen where Cheese(beleive it was Cheese)said that they could be bought for around 200.00. Was wondering where this place is.
I haven't finished trouble/shooting or trying to fix current problem yet,,was wanting to know about this place in case.

Can any of you guy's tell me if the mower should move if the brake rod on the left side is in either position,,my mower will move(roll)no matter whether the lever is, up or down.If it's not suppost to move maybe someone knows what might be the problem.

thanks for any help

Allen

Sponsored Links

KY

06-18-08, 10:54 AM   #2  
If your transmission is a hydrostatic one, there is a lever
usually under or behind the seat that can be engaged
to make the mower push or roll easily, make sure that it
is in the off position.

Give us some backround info, like how it was running before
this problem happened.

Or more importantly, did you have one of the rear wheels off
to fix a tire?

Let us know.

Fish

TN

06-18-08, 11:50 AM   #3  
Don't know if hydrostatic or not,,just says on hood automatic hydrostatic I think.......

also don't know how mower ran before, because guy I bought it from just said he thought that it didn't move because the drive belt was slipping...it's not!!!

yes I've had one back wheel off as it and the rest of the tires were flat,,put tubes in two wheels and just pumped the others up,,starts up and run fine........

it moves easily no matter whether the lever is up or down...

thanks for your help

KY

06-18-08, 01:15 PM   #4  
Take the rims off again, the shaft should have a square
slot in it, as well as the hole in the rims, aand a long rectangular key should be there to lock them together.

Likely one or both of those keys are missing, you can buy them at any hardware store.

So your trans problem might only cost $3, good luck.

Fish

TN

06-18-08, 02:58 PM   #5  
Thanks Fisher, I'll go check that right now............

TN

06-19-08, 04:08 AM   #6  
Ok, Fisher that was the problem....one of the wheels had been taken off at some time before me and didn't have the key put back in.......thanks a lot..mower run good now.........

however one more question.......couldn't get one of the wheels off...it's looks rusted on,,,,didn't want to beat it off with a hammer for fear of hurting the tranaxle...........got any tips for removing a rusted on wheel...need to put a tube in it,,,,,will go flat over night..........

anyway thanks again
Allen

KY

06-19-08, 06:41 AM   #7  
Just put the tube on while still on the mower, it is a pain, but if you try to
beat the rim, you can pull the shaft out of the transmission, and be in a
big mess.

Fish

TN

06-19-08, 07:09 AM   #8  
Yeah, believe that would be the best bet............

thanks for your help

Allen

Search this Thread