Ariens EZR 1742 Electric clutch

Old 06-19-08, 04:16 PM
Ariens EZR 1742 Electric clutch

A friend asked for some help with the noted machine. I wasn't too familiar with it but looking and diagnosing I have these observations and inputs. The mower deck won't cut. The belts are fine, the idler/tensioner is tight.

OH, we can't start the thing becasuse the battery is mostly dead. But I am also wondering if the starter is not so good. But there is enough juice in the battery for me to hear the clutch click/clank when you pull up the engage switch with the ignition turned on.

So, my question is this: I guess the mower is 12 or so years old. Is that electric clutch a wear type item that with more or less moderate use, 10-12 years of wear is a normal wear out time ?

I found them on line from $120 to $250 for what appears to be the same item.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-08, 09:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I guess I'm not understanding your question. You can't start the engine, so how do you know it won't cut? The fact that you hear the clutch coming on is telling me the clutch is working. It can't be working much though if the battery isn't even strong enough to crank the engine. If the battery is dead, it would stand to reason that battery operated devices aren't going to work. Maybe I'm not understanding?

Old 06-20-08, 04:22 AM
Electric clutch

Sorry for the confusion. The mower was running OK last fall, this spring when my friend went to use it, it wouldnt start. I believe the battery has seen finer days being several years old and sitting in a cold garage all winter.

So, by jumping the mower it got running but the deck wont spin. This is what was reported to me. So without jumping the thing (its in the garage with lots of stuff in the way to get at jumping it again) , there is a bit of juice in the battery, the engine cranks, but oh-so-slowly, so I cant see the mower run and I assume one could see if the clutch actually engages.

With the small juice left in the battery, you can hear the (I suppose a solenoil ?) clicking/clunking of the clutch. That tells me wires are intact to the clutch etc. and something is happening.

Being unfamiliar with the idea of an electric clutch, I am wondering if a clutch such as this is a wear part ? In other words should we expect to have to replace it, in so much as it is about 12 years old ?

Old 06-21-08, 12:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Clutches do wear out and go bad, sometimes in 5 years, sometimes in 35. The noise you hear when you turn the clutch on is the clutch engaging, so it works. It probably doesn't hold well if the battery is bad, since it requires a fair current to engage and hold. Sounds to me like you need a battery.

Old 06-21-08, 03:03 AM
There may be an interlock in the electrical system that prevents the clutch and starter from being ON at the same time. That would keep the mower from turning as the engine cranks over.

The typical clutch draws about 3-4 amps at 12 volts. The clutch contact surfaces are steel-on-steel, so there's no friction material to wear out. Unless the clutch has been severely abused (perhaps by repeatedly engaging it while the mower was bogged down in heavy grass), the contact surfaces will last a VERY long time.

Without a good battery, you're

Roger