Craftsman Lawn Tractor will not start or make a sound

Old 06-20-08, 09:10 AM
Craftsman Lawn Tractor will not start or make a sound

I have a Craftsman Lawn Tractor with a 14.5 OHV Briggs & Stratton I/C Gold engine that will not start in fact it makes very little sound at all when I turn the key sometimes a small click. I have 12 volts at the battery and 12 volts at the battery side of the solenoid. When I hold down the seat, depress the clutch/brake and turn the key to start while checking the small white wire on the side of the solenoid I can get around 5 volts but nowhere near 12. Those volts go to zero as soon as I release the key back to the run position instead of the start position. I sometimes hear a louder single click from the solenoid while performing this maneuver (i.e. checking the volts on the small white wire on the side). In all situations I get 0 volts from the starter side of the solenoid.

Is it definitely the solenoid or could it be one of the safety switches? How do I test the safety switches or the ignition switch if that is even necessary? Thanks for any insight you can give.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-08, 10:53 AM
Sounds like a poor main connection at the battery cables
and/or where the negative goes to the frame, at least I
would start checking there.

Fish

Old 06-20-08, 11:58 AM
Smile Thank you Fisher

I cleaned both connections at the battery and that did the trick, although I think it may have been the negative connection that was the problem based on my earlier voltage tests.

Thanks a lot that was way easier than replacing the solenoid, which was not the problem anyway. You saved me time and money. I appreciate it.