Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Briggs 19 hp v engine electrical problems ?

KY

06-20-08, 04:35 PM   #1  
Briggs 19 hp v engine electrical problems ?

I have a Craftsman 19 hp (Briggs 42A707) lawn mower with a 46" deck....OK here goes_I recently bought this tractor second hand. I used it the day I brought it home, and it hasn't worked since. I knew it needed a battery, so that was the 1st thing I replaced. I know the carb needs work because I have to pour gas into the carb to get it to crank....That's not the problem. The problem is...The starter started smoking(yellow smoke) when I tried jumping it (yes, the cables were hooked up right), So I replaced the starter (ouch $120), The new starter started heating up real fast when I turned on the key. I quickly turned off the key, but the starter continued getting hot. I quickly disconnected the positive cable from the solinoid to the starter, and it was arcing, althought the key was in the off position. Is it the solinoid? Help...

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-21-08, 12:03 AM   #2  
The starter continued getting hot, but was not turning? It does sound like the solenoid is bad, but it also sorta sounds like your new starter is stuck either because the engine is locked or a starter problem.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread