JD stx38 - transaxle problem

Old 06-21-08, 12:46 PM
JD stx38 - transaxle problem

Hi. I have an stx38, and it just stopped the other day while mowing. The engine runs ok. I thought I heard something snap, but I'm not sure. When I shift gears, the shifter position feels normal when in gear too. I jacked up the rear, and can turn a rear wheel - the other turns opposite direction as normal. So far, I haven't been able to see it that well, but the pulley on top of the transaxel doesn't seem to be turning.

What's the best way to access that pulley and check it. It's difficult to reach from under the side of the mower.
Does it have a keyway?
Does anyone have an idea on this one? I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-08, 12:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds more to me like the belt just came off. The tranny belt is a little tricky to replace on this one.

Old 06-23-08, 05:33 AM
Progress!

Ok, I've dropped the mowing deck and pulled it out of the way. I've got the front of the tractor up on car ramps and can now see (feel actually) that the belt is torn at the drive pulley. I've taken the 3 nuts off the pto and want to drop it. Can't get the bolt out of the engine shaft because the engine turns over and it won't loosen. Is this a left handed bolt? Anyone have any tips how to do this?

Thanks,
Bob

Old 06-23-08, 09:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The 3 nuts actually should be left alone... now you'll need a set of feeler guages and you'll have to reset the gap in the clutch before reinstalling it.

The 5/8 head bolt in the crankshadft is regular right hand threads. Use an impact wrench to get it out, or find a way to hold the engine from turning without damaging anything (strap wrench around the flywheel?).