Troy Bilt Trimmer Leaking Gas

Old 06-22-08, 09:32 AM
Troy Bilt Trimmer Leaking Gas

I have a 2 cycle Troy Bilt trimmer that was dying when I pulled the trigger but ran fine while the choke was on. I replaced the carburetor, gasket, and the fuel filter inside of the tank. I gave it a pull and it started right up, then pulled the trigger and it ran like new. I then turned it off and when I came out the next morning there was a large pile of gas, probably half a tank or more on my deck. I then pulled the string and gas leaked out of the muffler. The gas seems to be leaking from the bottom of the casing and down the spark plug wire when it is just sitting on the ground. When I try to crank it it then leaks out of the muffler. I didn't make any changes to the carburetor, I just put it on and left it as it was.

Does anyone out there have any idea of what could be the problem or how I might fix this? Any ideas/help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-08, 12:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like your new carburetor is defective and the inlet needle is leaking in it.

Old 06-23-08, 08:01 AM
Not sure how old it is but older fuel lines don't fit so tightly as they did when new. Is it possible the source of the leak is where the intake fuel line slips over the nipple on the carb? You'll probably have to open it up, dry it off, fill it up and see if you can tell if it's an internal leak(i.e. needle not shutting off the gas, etc.) or external like the fuel line.

Was this in fact a brand new carb you installed? Or did you(or someone else) do a rebuild? If it's not a brand new factory carb, then I'd be inclined to open up just to make sure the diaphragms and gaskets are on in the right order. Let us know and we can help you with that. I'd be very surprised to find a brand new carb with an internal problem. It certainly happens, but rarely.

Old 06-23-08, 09:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it's blowing gas out the muffler, it's an internal leak (carb).

Old 06-23-08, 06:12 PM
It is a brand new carb with all new fuel lines. The gas is coming out of the muffler when trying to start and it is leaking from the bottom of the casing.

Old 06-28-08, 06:50 PM
Can anyone confirm that I have everything hooked up properly? I have the primer line going up into the fuel tank, the fuel line with the filter on it in the tank running to the bottom of the carb, and the other line is at the top of the carb running to the spot right next to the primer bulb.

The model and parent part number is TB25CS41BDT25C063

Old 06-28-08, 08:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Depends on which side of the primer you have the lines connected to. When you press the primer, it blows out one fitting. This one should be the line going from the primer to the tank. The other line should suck fuel into the primer when you release the bulb. This line should be the one going to the carb.

Old 06-28-08, 08:57 PM
The weedeater has 3 lines. The one going from the primer to the fuel tank I know is correct. There is another connector right beside the primer and 2 connectors on the carb. There is a connector on the top of the carb and one on the bottom of the carb. I don't know if the fuel line in the tank with the filter attached goes to the top or bottom of the carb. I also don't know if the connector beside the primer goes to the top or bottom of the carb. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-29-08, 08:57 PM
I switched up my lines and the leaking seems to have stopped. I just replaced the carburetor, fuel filter, fuel lines, and the primer bulb on. Now, it will crank right up after turning the choke on and it will run as long as I have the trigger pulled. If I release the trigger it dies instantly. Also, if I try to crank without the choke on it will not crank. I have adjusted the idle screw to just about every position possible but nothing changed. Can you provide any ideas on what I may have done incorrectly?

Old 06-30-08, 08:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The primer has 2 fittings. How do you know the one from the primer to the tank is correct? Did you test it to see which primer fitting it is connected to?

The filtered line goes to the side of the carb with only one screw holding the cover plate on. On your model, I don't know if that side is turned up or down. Check on that and the connections to the primer circuit and post the results before going into performance problems. It may still not be connected properly.

Last edited by cheese; 07-01-08 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-30-08, 09:04 PM
I know the primer line to the tank is correct because I didn't take it off when I replced the carb. I just replaced that line yesterday. I know that one is correct.

I have had the lines connected both ways but the way I have it connected now doesn't result in gas blowing out of the muffler which I assume was the incorrect way.

Today it had gas leaking from the very top of the casing down to the bottom. There is nothing up top that I could see that would leak except the tank so I guess that is my next stop.

Search this Thread