STX38 engine bolts

Old 06-23-08, 10:41 AM
STX38 engine bolts

I am trying to find out if the engine bolts (mine fell out! ) are a standard bolt type that I can get at any hardware store, or if they are special to JD and can only be found at a JD dealer. I am new to this site, so I am struggling a bit to find my way around! Thanks to all!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-08, 12:24 PM
What bolts do you need? All the bolts on the engine are not the same, some need to be higher strength than others, but you should be able to get any nut, bolt, key, or pin from a good hardware store.

Old 06-23-08, 01:00 PM
Write to
http://www.cams-club.org
These guys drink, eat and sleep this stuff.

I worked in a hardware store after I blew the whistle on my employer, and a lot of people came in looking for replacements for very special bolts. And sometimes the dealer sent them to us!

Look for bolt head markings.

Some bolts are intended to deform, and so can be used only once. Google "plastic deformation" vs. "elastic deformation".

Post photos!

Old 06-23-08, 08:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it's engine mounting bolts, yes, you can get them from most hardware stores. They are metric. They are 8mm flange head bolts, 20mm long. If you can't find flange head bolts, you can use regular bolts a little bit longer with a flat washer and lock washer on them. I'd use 8.8 hardness bolts.