12.5 briggs & Stratton is it shot?

Old 06-24-08, 05:29 AM
12.5 briggs & Stratton is it shot?

Hi
I bought a used 12.5 hp briggs I/C gold engine. I saw it run for 5-10min before I bought it. It sounded good. There was a pulley attached to the shaft that had to come off so I could put mine on for my snapper ride-on mower. It was a little hard to get off. I tapped it off with downward taps with a piece of oak timber. It did take a few hard hits to get it moving. Also used two pieces of oak to pry it off. After installing it and adding oil . I finnaly got it started from after a few problems (electrical and choke). I had it running maybe 4 minutes I noticed the muffler getting red glowing hot. Then I heard a high pitch noise. I quickly shut it off. Some smoke came out of engine.
Did I screw this engine up when I removed the old pulley? How gentle do you have to be when pulling a pulley off a shaft?
Do you think I should just scrap it? What about having it repaired? Any sugesstions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-08, 08:12 AM
It sounds like the engine has a pull starter on the top, and
the screeching is from the starter clutch on top, that the
guy probably had off by the guy that sold you the engine.
The glowing is from the flywheel key being sheared by the
guy that didn't tighten the clutch back on.

Does your engine have a pull starter?

Fish

Old 06-24-08, 09:55 AM
Hi
Thanks for reply. It is electric start only. Not really sure if I caused problem or not. Not sure if I should even attempt to start it again. The one thing I did notice is the keyway slot was that it was a little misshapened. When the old pully came off it looked like it was on with some sort of compression ring onto shaft. At least I never found the tradition key that goes into the keyway (could have bounced somewhere).
Thanks any info appreciated

Old 06-24-08, 11:14 AM
Definitely check the flywheel key, it sounds like that is the
root of the muffler problem, with the top cover off, you can see if anything is rubbing the flywheel.

A leaky exhaust valve could cause it too, but I am betting on the key.

Fish

Old 06-24-08, 12:13 PM
Okay, I will check. I hope thats it because otherewise it sounded like a nice engine.

Thank You

Old 06-24-08, 07:24 PM
The high pitched squel is most likely comming from a dirty electric starter motor.Which you can tackle cleaning it yourself (it's pretty EZ).Or you can take it to a small engine shop to rebuild or replace