Motor won't stop

Old 06-25-08, 07:20 PM
Motor won't stop

My 5 year old Craftsman mower with a Honda 5.5 hp GVC-160 motor doesn't stop running when the bail is released. There was no warning of a problem coming on.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-08, 08:11 PM
I'm not too up to speed on Honda engines but
Sounds to me that the spring that pulls the brake lever back to ground is ether missing,not strong enught,or the kill cable is out of ajustment,or (and this is a long shot) but, the kill wire from the coil has come a lose from the brake braket.

Old 06-26-08, 06:35 AM
Also could be you need a new brake lining (shoe).

Old 06-27-08, 12:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The brake shoe doesn't kill the engine, it just slows it down faster once it is killed. I'd chase after problems with the switch in the brake bracket and/or cable problems like repair_guy mentioned. I believe that's where you'll find the problem.

Old 06-27-08, 08:57 AM
The brake shoe doesn't kill the engine

Today I have learned something. It never occurred to me to also kill the spark.

Old 06-27-08, 06:00 PM
Motor won't stop

Thanks for the tips. Been tied up with painting some fancy cast iron trim. Need to work on the mower tomorrow

Old 06-29-08, 05:32 PM
Stops good now

Found the kill wire unplugged from the coil. Its so protected there I don't see how it could have been pulled off. Maybe it was vibration from the new blade I had installed a couple of mowins back. The blade (from Sears) had a paper label over the mounting area. It wouldn't peel off so I just punched out the holes. As I was finishing mowing I noticed a difference in sound from usual. It wasn't shaking - just sort of buzzing. I removed the label with a wire brush, which fixed the buzz, but perhaps the wire had come almost off. Gave the connector a little squeeze and pushed it on - working fine.