Walbro Carb on Lawn Tractor

Old 06-27-08, 01:36 PM
Walbro Carb on Lawn Tractor

This probably sounds stupid and probably is but here goes. I have a Walbro Carb on a Briggs and Stratton Engine Model Series 28n700.
Where does the end of the "Choke Link" Attach on the Engine? The Choke Link is a rod with a long loop in it. I know where it attaches at the Carb end but do not know where it attaches at the other end.
Thanks for any and all help
Nate

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-08, 10:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The hook on the carb end hooks in from the underside of the choke shaft and out the top, then the looped end goes through a horizontal slot at the top left corner of the throttle control box on the side of the engine. That's it. The throttle control comes up and pushes the looped end toward the carburetor to choke it when you raise the throttle lever at the dash to choke.

Old 08-06-08, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
The hook on the carb end hooks in from the underside of the choke shaft and out the top, then the looped end goes through a horizontal slot at the top left corner of the throttle control box on the side of the engine. That's it. The throttle control comes up and pushes the looped end toward the carburetor to choke it when you raise the throttle lever at the dash to choke.
I have this type as well. So if the throttle lever pushes that choke loop forward, what causes that to return to its origianl position? On mine, it doesn't look like anything affects that choke loop.

Old 08-06-08, 11:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is a small spring under the foam ring at the top of the choke shaft on the carb. It is the return spring. If the shaft is not returning (common problem), take the choke shaft out and shave the shaft a little bit so that it isn't such a tight fit, but not so much that it is wobbly loose, and reassemble. I use a razor blade and scrape the sides of the shaft until it fits propery and returns like it should. Make sure you get the return spring back on properly during reassembly.

Old 08-28-08, 06:51 PM
Thanks, I'll either shave down that shaft, add a small return spring, or just tie a string on the long clip, drill a hole, and use that to open the choke back up, and use the stock throttle lever to close the choke when I need to, all from the driver seat. Seems like poor engineering to have a plastic shaft there, and likely engineered to large to rotate over time. Now, maybe, if we used these indoors where there's no dirt?????????

Old 08-28-08, 11:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The stock spring that's there is plenty strong enough to close it if you get the shaft cleaned up.