Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman Yard Tractor 16 HP

NC

06-28-08, 03:46 PM   #1  
Craftsman Yard Tractor 16 HP

I'm having a problem with the belt for the drive, I keep ordering the part number for it, but I keep getting a belt that after three or four mowing's it almost stops pulling the tractor. I have often wondered if possible the belts they are sending me might be the right size but a bit narrower making it drop too far into the pulleys. The belt isn't frayed or worn, it seems to be too long for the mower to work properly, any remedy????????

Sponsored Links

Non-US

06-28-08, 04:26 PM   #2  
If you give us the model & serial # It will help the pros see what you have. Till then, are all the belt guide fingers installed & not bent out of shape?? Is the replacement belt an "O.E.M." or a generic. If so, Try an O.E.M. as a lot of them can be a certian length & the aftermarket gives you a ""Close"" one. Also verify all the idler & tensioner wheels are in good shape (bearings, springs, pulleys, etc).Post some numbers & the pros will get you dialed in in no time.. ( Most numbers are under the seat). Roger

NC

06-29-08, 11:38 AM   #3  
Thanks for responding to me so quick. Model 917.254320, 5 speed 16HP-44" Yard tractor mower, purchased in 1987. I replaced the two pulleys and spring and guide fingers are in place. I also used a generic belt with the crossover numbers of 125908x, I have also used a belt from Sears 105876x and I'm getting the same results, I don't have the original belt to see what the thickness it was, but it appears that these belts are not wide enough, just close. I have checked the routing of the belts and it is correct. If I want it to move at all I have to pull back on the clutch to get it to move without slipping to pull. This has been an ongoing problem for a year or so getting worse. I checked the drift key on the clutch for ware or cracked, its OK, no unusual slop. It keeps on going back to the belt, I think, I'm "stumped"!!!

Non-US

06-29-08, 01:29 PM   #4  
From what I can tell, the 125908x belt is correct. 1/2 x 93'' Do you have the owners manual?? Some units have an adjustment for tension. Looh really close @ the pulleys, as the do wear over time & the "V" part of them can get wider & deeper,, This unit is made by A.Y.P, & the sears site does say it's an "Authorized" substitute. Maybe try an A.Y.P. dealer in the event the origional belt was 5/8'' Good luck,, Roger

NC

07-06-08, 09:00 AM   #5  
Just wanted to let you know what the problem was, it seems that the new Idler pulley sent to me was made for a 5/8" belt and was letting the belt get too deep into the v-pulley, causing a lot of slack. I changed it out for a new one, with the correct width and this seemed to resolve the mystery, seems you can't always trust the dealers for the right parts, you must check them or it will drive you crazy like it did me, anyways, thanks for the help, chuck33!

WI

07-06-08, 11:41 AM   #6  
you did not say if you were getting a belt crossed to another brand of belt or orginal equipment. Most of these belts for this mower from AYP made for Sears are a deep vee which gives more surface for friction to drive the unit. Also these belts will use an idler that is slightly wider than 1/2 inch. I know that Gates cross to the Orginal Equipment belt is narrower than the orginal equipment belt. I see quite a few of these come into the shop with a simular problem where I just put on the orginal equipment belts.

08-24-08, 06:50 PM   #7  
This is so similar to what I've been going through with an AYP/Craftsman lawn tractor (971.254551). The parts list calls for a 1/2 x 92 1/2 belt, and I bought the belt from Sears. However, it is so loose that it is not fully engaged even with the pedal all the way up. So, this is not a matter of an equivalent belt being to narrow. There is no adjustment; just a spring that moves the V-idler against the belt. I've been playing with shorter belt$$$ trying to fine-tune it, but nothing explains why the belt from Sears is too loose. I do need to look more closely at the V-idler I just bought from Sears to see if it may be for a wider belt. Bah. This has been a pain....

WI

08-25-08, 06:53 AM   #8  
Check that you are getting full travel out of your spring loaded idlers. Also watch your routing. Just going around and combination of idlers the wrong direction will cause slack and not enough tension. Most AYP/Sears belts are of a deep vee and have more area that ride on the pulleys for greater power transfer. We have substituted to generac in the shop to get by temporarily, but the orginal equipment work the best since the engineering and design were done with it. Check all you tension springs for being in the proper locations. Look at worn pivot bushings also. Good Luck.

Search this Thread