Briggs and Stratton engine leaking oil

Old 06-29-08, 10:02 AM
Briggs and Stratton engine leaking oil

I have a 42A707 2238-E1 17.5HP Briggs and Stratton engine that is badly leaking oil from the oil pan/oil sump gasket.

Can someone guide me (or point me in the right direction) on how to replace this gasket? Should I replace the PTO seal at the same time? The PTO seal is not leaking right now but is 10 years old.

Do I have to completely remove the engine from the mower?

I'm mechanically competent, but don't want to create more work for myself by blindly charging forward without consulting someone.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-08, 02:09 AM
GM gln103
I have replaced the P.T.O. oil seal on engines without taking the motor off of the mower.But since you have to take the mower deck off,Unless you'll be working on the mower deck it is EZ'r to take the motor off of the mower.Take the 8 1/2 wrench headed bolts out,bump the sump plate off with a rubbber hammer.Scrape all the old gasket off without getting into the Aluminum and replace.But as far as replacing a oil seal thats not leaking,I'm a ferm beleiver in "IF IT'S NOT BROKE,DON'T FIX IT" But a P.T.O. oil seal costs less than $5.00 so go far it.Might save ya trouble down the road.
Just pry it out with a large screwdriver,oil and hammer the new seal in place.Keeping it good and level.

Old 06-30-08, 07:13 AM
So to replace the sump gasket, should I remove the entire engine?

Or is there a way to just unbolt the sump from the rest of the engine, lift the engine block a few inches, replace the gasket, and put it all back together without actually remove the entire engine?

Thanks!

Old 06-30-08, 11:37 AM
you have to unbolt and remove the entire engine to get to the bolts that holds the sump plate to the crankcase,and also stack pulley (the pulley directly under the engine mounted on the crankshaft) to tap the sump all the way off.

Old 06-30-08, 11:46 AM
You must remove the entire engine. Its not hard but there is no way to get the bolts out unless the engine is out of the mower. good luck.