Deere F525 hydrostatic drive problem

Old 06-29-08, 01:27 PM
Deere F525 hydrostatic drive problem

I've got an older (not sure year) JD F525 with 470 hours on it. I've been having the same strange stall problems others have had, but did some looking and found a loose white wire connected to the ignitor and it seems to be running fine, at least for now. After getting it running again, now it crawls when trying to move. It barely moves forward and will not move at all in reverse.

Is there an adjustment I can make myself, or do I have a more serious problem with my hydrostatic drive?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Scott Hooker
Colchester, CT

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-08, 08:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have you checked the fluid level in the tranny?

Old 06-30-08, 11:59 PM
What Kind of fluid?

I have the same problem with my Huskee hydro drive 16hp tecumseh. What fluid should i used ATF??? Or 10W something or other??

Old 07-01-08, 03:11 AM
Shares oil with engine

Hi Cheese,

Yes, I thought I had caused this problem because I overfilled the engine crankcase a pint or less. I changed the oil with 5W-30 Mobil One synthetic and JD oil filter since it was time anyway. Checked the level, adjusted it and the level is fine. Same problem. FWIW, I could get it to crawl in reverse by lifting up with my foot on the forward travel pedal.

Oh, well, this one is over my head. It's off to the local JD dealer to let them make the proper adjustment and/or repair.

Thanks for your reply.

Scott