Trouble with My Murray Mower

Old 06-29-08, 04:51 PM
Trouble with My Murray Mower

I have a 6 year old Murray Riding lawn mower. I've have the carb rebuilt once, but recently it would not start and if it did start would run for only a few seconds. On the bottom of the carb bowl is an electrical device that has a piston. I removed it to make sure it was working; in which it was. Now the probelem, I have is the gasket that goes around the bowl has deteriorated and when I put things back in place it leaks gasoline all over the bowl, and eletrical device. Do I just need a new gasket? or does the electrical device have a gasket for itselft. Also my fuel line has deteriorated, and I had to cut off approx. two inches of it to get the fuel to flow freely from my gas tank. I know I need a gasket for the bowl seat, but is there anything as far as gaskets for the electrical device, I thinks its called the float shut off.

Thanks!
Mike B.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-08, 05:07 PM
You say you rebuilt the carb, but the gasket around the bowl has deterioated. Did you install a kit or is the fuel you have really rotton??. All the gaskets you ask about should come in the kit (asuming this is a Briggs engine) & the fuel leak should be fixed with a new (or adjusted) float & bowl gasket. Sounds like the carb needs a few hours to soak in the bathtub & a complete kit & float installed..as well as fuel lines, cus the rubber that comes from the inside of rotton fuel lines get stuck in float valves & jets & stuff.. Not good. Post some engine numbers in case the pro's have more info for you.. Roger

Old 06-29-08, 07:05 PM
I dont have the model/serial number of the motor, but ist a 14/5 hp Briggs and Stratton. What does the eletrical device do at the bottom of the carb bowl? Does it need a gasket to keep gas from flowing out of it?

I'm sure it needs vatted but during the middle of the summer all of my repair shops are months behind.

Thanks

Mike B

Old 06-29-08, 08:23 PM
The "eletrical device" as you called it that is screwed into the bottom of the carb. is a fuel cut off valve.Gasoline dosen't flow through this valve.If you listen to it as you turn the ignition key you'll hear a ((click)) this is the valve being opened where gas can travel up the emerson tube of the carb.

And I agree with hopkinsr2 that you need to soak your carb, in chem-dip in order to get everything cleaned out.Then put a new carb. kit in it.

Old 06-30-08, 09:48 AM
how much does a carb kit cost?
is there a gasket for the fuel cut off switch located on the bottom of the bowl?

thanks in advance!
Mike B.

Old 06-30-08, 07:19 PM
The price of the carb kit depends on the carb/engine you have. The gasket for the fuel cut-off valve is just a simple fiber washer, but I don't think thats going to fix you up. All of these parts are in the carb kit if you take the engine numbers to you're local small engine place. Also check you're float...Roger

Old 06-30-08, 07:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree that more is needed than a gasket. Gas should never get high enough in the bowl to reach the top gasket (except for amounts that slosh up there). If it is getting that high, the needle isn't seating. It may be a stuck float or trash in the needle seat area, or a bad needle causing it to not seat and shut off the gas when it gets to float level.

Search this Thread