Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

No spark after Nova II install

06-30-08, 10:08 AM   #1  
No spark after Nova II install

First Motor is Tecumseh H30-35311M. I has spark at time with the points and condenser, while I was test in my bech. The Engine was not running at time due to Carb rebuild. It would be blue or none. So I took the stator plate off removed the condenser, points and installed Nova II ignition. I put it back together and no spark. I tried moving the stator plate to different spots think it was a timing issue but no luck. I then tried reversing the polarity as suggested by the Nova II instrution but nothing. So put it back to negitive ground. I took off the spark tested and held the ignition wire in my fingers and pulled the cord. I could feel very little spark. Anyone ever installed on of these or should I go back to points, condenser. I going to have the shop test the mageto to see if it is still good. I tested the flywheel magnets and they seem strong. I have looking at the Tecumseh Service Manual but only talks about points.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-30-08, 08:27 PM   #2  
I don't know about the Nova II, but I don't know of any solid state chip that converts points type ignitions found on Tecumseh engines. Now that you've moved the stator plate, you're going to have to reset the timing. Got a dial indicator?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

07-01-08, 04:57 AM   #3  
No I do not have dial inicator. Is there any way to set with out one? As for the Nova II I contact the company before I purchased it and they told me it would work.

07-01-08, 05:40 PM   #4  
Anyone know if there is a way to set timing with out dial?

07-03-08, 05:11 AM   #5  
Am I missing something

I was thinking about this as I was looking over the Tecumseh manual. How would I set the timing. I have changed to electronic ignition. I do not have points. Even if I set the Piston to top dead center, I would not be able to set finish with an ohm meter as I missing the rest of the parts.
How would setting the timing work with the electronic ignition. There are no moving parts. The flywheel on goes on one way. I suppose I could move the stator until I get spark or stonger spark.

Am I missing something? Please clairify if I am.

GA

07-04-08, 01:45 AM   #6  
I looked at the manual for your engine. www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf I also looked at a parts list.

It looks like the timing is fixed, but you have to set the gap on the points. I couldn't find that in the manual, but it's probably around 0.015".

I looked at the info for the Nova II. http://members.aol.com/pullingtractor/ignition.htm

"Universal and high-performance. Durable die-cast aluminum housing. Produces a hot spark even at cranking speeds, is weather-proof and very reliable. Ignition timing is automatically set. No kick-back and no timing adjustment required. Works excellent!
Suitable for use with most 2 leg or 3 leg magneto coils and with a flywheel having one or two magnets mounted internally or externally, and with coil mounted underneath or outside of flywheel. Works great regardless of the polarity of the magnets, too. Works on lawn mowers, chain saws, trimmers, garden tillers, snow throwers, brush cutters, outboard boat motors, etc.
Works only with magneto type ignition coils that originally had contact points and a condenser. It will not work with solid state ignition (CDI) coils, battery ignition coils or with flywheels having a ring of magnets mounted internally to which the ignition coil (mounted underneath flywheel also) operates off of, such as the bigger aluminum block Tecumseh engines (8hp and up). (As each magnet passes the coil, it'll produce a spark. And if the spark don't occur at the precise time with the piston at a certain position in the cylinder, the engine will either "kick back" or won't run.)
Being this coil is designed for Tecumseh engines and Kohler no longer makes this type of coil, some of the wires may need to be lengthened for use on a Kohler engine. And NOVA 2 module will work great with this coil.
Has two wire connectors. One connects to the ignition coil and the other connects to the ground of the engine with use of a supplied mounting screw. Comes with detailed instructions."

It says no timing is required.

CA

07-04-08, 03:52 PM   #7  
Correct!

No timing is needed to produce an ignition spark. Timing may be required however if the magneto assembly was not install back in it's original position.

If your not getting a spark, it's not because the timing is off, you either have a faulty Nova module, a bad ignition coil, or there is ground in the primary leads from the module to the coil. The ground could also be at the kill switch.

Did you remove the points and condenser when you installed the module??
If you did not and you attached the the lead wire from your module to the connector of the points, it will not work.

07-07-08, 05:25 AM   #8  
Thanks for the replies. I removed the condensor, and points. I screwed the Nova II to the back of the stator plate. It does not have a kill switch installed. I tried reversing the polarity and nothing. As I stated if I check with the spark tester I see nothing, but if I hold the end of the ignition wire I fell every little spark. I still have the have the mag tested at the shop it se if its weak.

CA

07-07-08, 04:58 PM   #9  
Yes, I have used them before and they work alright, but I think the points and condenser work better. (easer starting)

07-08-08, 12:44 PM   #10  
Thanks, I will post back after I get the Mag tested. If I go back to points I will have to set the timing. Anyway to do this with out dial. Can I take the top end off so I can see the piston? Then replace gaket.

Search this Thread