Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Drive not working

06-30-08, 01:48 PM   #1  
Drive not working

I have a Toro 22" Recycler Lawn Mower Model No. 20017, with a Tecumseh engine. The rear wheel drive that self propels the mower suddenly quit working. If I lift the rear wheels off of the ground and engage the drive, they will spin normally. But, as soon as I put the wheels back on the ground they quit spinning. I have tried tightening the traction cable, with no improvement. As a matter of fact, the more I tightened it, the less spinning I got from the wheels. I also replaced the v-belt with no effect.

I don't know if this is related to the problem or not, but I will mention it just in case. When I pull the mower backwards the rear wheels will often times lock-up.

Does anyone know what is wrong and how to fix it?

Thank you in advance.

Timoteo

Sponsored Links

AL

06-30-08, 06:00 PM   #2  
The plastic drive gears behind the back wheels are striped and are in need of replacing.

06-30-08, 06:21 PM   #3  
Posted By: repair_guy The plastic drive gears behind the back wheels are striped and are in need of replacing.
repair_guy,

Thanks for the post. I am not sure if a stripped gear is the cause of the problem. I had the gears (mine are metal not plastic) wear out once before about two years ago. That time the problem was similar except for the fact that when I engaged the drive, it would make a loud grinding noise. This time I don't get that, but I will check and see what condition they are in and post back here.

Timoteo

07-02-08, 07:20 AM   #4  
I took the wheels off and the gears appear to be in good working order. They mesh with no slippage. They actually seem to be working too well because now the wheels will not turn backwards no matter how much force is applied. Does anyone have any other ideas what could be wrong?

Timoteo

WI

07-02-08, 07:50 AM   #5  
I do not know where the repair guy gets the plastic gear notion but having a Toro dealership, and worked on a good many, I have yet to see a plastic gear in a Toro drive. The only plastic gear is in the front drive wheel itself.

I would venture that the bevel gear and pinion are worn out. Your grease has probably drawn moisture also. Take the four bolts out of the gear case cover and look at it. Toro has made the complete transmission fairly reasonably priced on this model and with what you have to take apart, a complete transmission is worth it.

A note on this model is that the transmission must turn when you spin the wheel backwards and free wheels when you push forward.

Last edited by CAMINO KID; 07-02-08 at 07:52 AM. Reason: addition

07-03-08, 06:20 AM   #6  
CAMINO KID,

Thanks for the info, I'll take it apart this weekend and see how it goes.

Timoteob

Search this Thread