Briggs & Stratton #252707 Won't Start

Old 06-30-08, 08:50 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Briggs & Stratton #252707 Won't Start

I have a Briggs & Stratton Model #252707 on a Medallion 11/38 rider mower with an electric starter and need to troubleshoot why it will not start and can not find any wring diagrams or trouble shoot info and tests.

Most like likely it is a combination of problems as, before I got it, it was left outside for a long time and not cared for. After much wire terminal cleaning I've got it to crank over.

The mice ate away some of the insulation on the spark plug wire. I have heavilly taped that up but see no spark.

So, where do I start?

Old 07-01-08, 11:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
You'll need to get spark first of all. Remove the kill wire from the coil and check for spark again. If the engine doesn't have points ignition, and you get no spark this way, then the coil is bad. This is also assuming the air gap is correct. It should be .010" between the coil and flywheel magnets.

Old 07-03-08, 10:41 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply.

The flywheel gap seems to be OK. I have disconnected what I believe to be the kill wire and still no spark. (I am testing this using another spark plug grounded with automotive jumper cables.)

I do not think there are points as the B&S parts list for this motor do not show them. There is most likely an alternator.

Now, at this point, I notice that a coil wire goes under the flywheel. Do I have to or should I consider its removal? I'd like to avoid this if possible, but am wonering if there are rusty contacts to cleanup there as well and will the coil replacement require this anyway.

Old 07-05-08, 12:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
If it's a small wire going from the coil underneath the flywheel, then it does have points. I reccomend replacing the coil with a newer solid state unit and clip the wire to the points and forget about them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: