lawn tractor floods

Old 07-01-08, 01:00 AM
lawn tractor floods

hi I have a craftsman lawn tractor model # 917.270810 that I had bought used a couple of months ago, when I got it it didn't run but with this forums help I took the carburetor apart and cleaned it and rebuilt the fuel pump and now it runs good. But the problem that I'm having now is that when I start it, I pull the choke and turn the key, and it starts right up, than it sputters after a few seconds so I push the choke in and it revs right up and runs great for about 30 secs and floods out and dies. If I take the air cleaner off the tray it sits in and the bowl are loaded with gas, I let it sit for about 20 mins and then it starts right up and runs great for the whole time that I'm cutting the grass, but the next week that I go to start it up I run into the same problem again. it might just be user error but it seems like I'm starting it right.... thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-08, 10:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like the float is sticking. I suggest cleaning the float, hinge pin, needle, seat area, and make sure there is no resistance to float operation.

Old 07-13-08, 04:47 PM
sorry for the delay, i took it all apart and the float seams to move freely when it's all apart, but it is tuff to take apart cause the float get hung up on the bottom part of the carb when you try to lift off the top (not sure if that's normal) but when it's in tact and you turn it upside down you can hear it moving.... could the float be bad maybe it's swollen ???

Old 07-15-08, 12:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Could very well be a bad float. Hold the float by your ear and shake it. Do you hear gas sloshing in it?

Search this Thread