No throttle response on 15.5 OHV, 282H07,

Old 07-02-08, 11:56 AM
No throttle response on 15.5 OHV, 282H07,

This week while mowing yard engine went to full throttle, swear I heard the valves float for a second. I have been looking for online repair manual to see if a spring broke or something. Having no luck can somebody help. I have read a few posts about leaking carb but don't think that is the problem but am open to suggestions.

Thanks
oldshirt

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-08, 01:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
So now it won't start? Have you pulled the valve cover to see if something came loose? Sounds like the throttle linkage came loose or the governor came apart in the engine.

Old 07-03-08, 10:46 AM
It does start and runs full throttle. I have played with the gov arm with no change. When I apply a load, i.e. engage the mower deck or put it in gear it loads down and won't speed back up. It does not sound like it is running away like it did the first time. Also would you know where I can purchase or download a service manual for this engine?

Thanks
oldshirt

Old 07-03-08, 08:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like the governor came apart internally. Check ebay for manuals, or google briggs manuals for a huge list of choices.

Old 07-06-08, 06:58 AM
Thanks. I will tear it apart and see whats up. If you don't hear back then I got it fixed.

Thanks again
oldshirt

Old 07-07-08, 06:24 PM
Cheese,

Thought I would give you an update. As I was contemplating what had to be done I was fiddling with the carb when the throttle shaft lifted out of the carb. I thought to myself this isn't right. I removed carb and the butterfly valve was missing. I looked down the head and saw that it was wedged in the intake port right by the valve stem. Removed head and found what was left of the two screws. Thank goodnes they were brass and did not cause much damage. So now I don't have to tear down the whole engine and replace to gov shaft. Parts are on order and will put it back together this weekend.

Thanks for your help
oldshirt

Old 07-07-08, 08:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's not so bad. If the throttle plate is out, I wonder why it slowed down when the load was applied? Maybe it just happened to coincide with a shift in the throttle plate position within the intake.