I still do not have spark

Old 05-27-08, 11:32 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a case 1816 skid loader with an OH 160 Tecumseh engine. The spec # off the engine is OH160 170048E SEP 8071E.

The original problem was, the magnets broke off the flywheel and the battery wouldn't stay charged. I purchased a new flywheel, put it on and I did not have spark. It did not have spark when I put the old flywheel back either.

I have since replaced all the electrical components, the ignition coil (part #610906) and the stator (part #610902). I still do not have any spark. Anyone have any suggestions. (There are not any safety switches that I am aware of.) Any divine insight here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 05-27-08, 11:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Are you checking this with the spark plug grounded to a metal part of the engine amd the kill wire disconnected?

Old 05-28-08, 04:58 AM
W
Yes, the spark plug is grounded to the engine and the kill wire is disconnected.

Old 05-28-08, 11:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
So ALL ignition components, including the flywheel have been replaced? And still no spark...

On that engine, is the coil moveable? Is it set properly if so? Are the wiring connections to the stator in good shape, and the wires not pinched? Maybe a crazy question, but is the engine rotating the correct direction?

Old 05-29-08, 06:45 AM
W
All the wiring is new. It does not appear to be grounding itself out. And the motor is turning in the right direction. The coil is movable and is set to the correct gap of 0.005". I have adjusted the gap but it did not do anything.

Is the ignition coil to this motor supposed to be getting juice from the battery to charge the coil. I have checked all the connections and there does not appear to be any juice going to the coil from anywhere, meaning the alternator (stator) or battery.

Old 05-29-08, 10:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
At one time, I had a good bit of information about that ignition system, but I looked and looked for it and can't find it. I don't even have a manual for that engine, or at least I can't find it. It's old, odd, and I rarely see one or work on one, so I guess the stuff has gotten buried/lost. I even looked for a free pdf manual online and couldn't find one.

Is the stator adjusted properly? I believe it has to be set as well...does it have slotted holes for adjustment?

I don't recall the ignition system on this engine being dependent on battery voltage.

Old 07-06-08, 02:18 PM
S

I have a similar problem. The pull-start parts (dogs) came loose and damaged the stator coil & assmebly (Tecumseh 610902). Where can I find one of these expensive parts? I've replaced the ignition coil (part #610906). I can see very thin wires sticking out of the stator broken.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: