Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

B&S 18 hp Carb trouble

CT

07-06-08, 08:22 AM   #1  
B&S 18 hp Carb trouble

I have a Vangard 18hp model 350447 that wont start on its own. But when I spray gas in the carb. it will start and run all day.Could this be the fule pump? and what causes this.
tks
Johnny

Sponsored Links

TN

07-06-08, 10:13 AM   #2  
Yes it could be the fuel pump or the supply from the tank. It could also be a carburetor problem.

A simple check of fuel supply and delivery to the carburetor is accomplished by mechanically clamping off the fuel line in order to stop fuel flow, then removing the line from the inlet fitting of the carburetor. With the fuel cap installed, release the clamp, and allow the fuel to run into a container approved for gasoline. The fuel flow should be as wide as the inside diameter of the line. If flow is not good check gas cap for venting or obstruction in fuel tank or line. If you get good flow go to the next step.

Remove the spark plug high tension lead(s) (attach the leads to a good engine ground). Disconnect the fuel supply line at the carburetor. Hold a container under the fuel line and engage the starter. The fuel should be delivered with distinct pulses at cranking speeds. If you do not have flow, replace fuel pump. If you do have flow open the carburetor and look for stuck float or jet obstruction.

WI

07-06-08, 11:30 AM   #3  
If you can start it with an external solvent, it sounds as if you are not getting a good choke of the carb. Two things, check the choke plate on the carb for fully closed and when you try starting, a wide open throttle will maximize the amount of draw on the fuel in the carb. The choke cable can be adjusted to completely close the choke plate. If you had a fuel pump problem the engine would not stay running.

GA

07-06-08, 11:38 AM   #4  
Oops. Changed my mind. Sorry.

TN

07-06-08, 12:02 PM   #5  
Posted By: CAMINO KID If you can start it with an external solvent, it sounds as if you are not getting a good choke of the carb. Two things, check the choke plate on the carb for fully closed and when you try starting, a wide open throttle will maximize the amount of draw on the fuel in the carb. The choke cable can be adjusted to completely close the choke plate. If you had a fuel pump problem the engine would not stay running.

I totally overlooked the "spray gas in the carb. it will start and run all day."

Cameo Kid is right on with the choke issue.

Search this Thread