Dana Spicer transaxle

Old 07-06-08, 08:09 PM
Dana Spicer transaxle

I have a Craftsman rider with a Dana Spicer transaxle - 4360 -140. The problem I'm having, is that I can't change gears. I've taken the transaxle out and put it on my workbench and with a 15" cresent I can just barely change it. When I get it apart, what do I need to look at? I am also having trouble getting the large pulley off the input shaft. It's pretty well rusted up (I've soaked the pulley and input shaft for two days with PB Blaster). Also, I am using a Clymer service manual. It says to use 15 ounces of "Shell Darnia O" grease or equivalent. I'm unfamilar with this grease...where could I find some? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-08, 12:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Expect the shifter bearings to be rusted, the shaft to be rusted, and possibly the internals of the trany to have rust.

I don't know about that grease you listed. I like to use "00" grease in the trannies I repair.

Old 07-07-08, 06:48 AM
Cheese,
Where would be a good pkace to get this "OO" grease...an auto parts store?

Old 07-07-08, 07:41 PM
Cheese, let me ask another question. What do you use for a gasket...can you put a bead of silicon chalk? I finally managed to disassemble the transaxle and I had to drive the gear shifter shaft out (it was completely froze up). I also found one of the spline shafts had a couple of teeth broken off on opposite sides of the shaft. It's amazing what you will find when the greese is cleaned off.

Old 07-07-08, 08:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can get "00" (double ought) grease from most small engine shops, especially snapper dealers, since that is the grease used in snapper rear ends.

You may already know, but watch for the detent ball and spring. Most of the time when I have a rusted up shifter shaft, the detent ball winds up lost in the grease. It may also have flat spots worn on it, which may cause the shifter to hang, so you might want to replace the detent ball while you have it open.

Old 07-08-08, 04:41 AM
Thanks Cheese, for the information.