Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Huskee rider slipping out of gear

07-07-08, 01:03 PM   #1  
Huskee rider slipping out of gear

Help! I have a Huskee riding lawn mower, and it will slip out of gear when in forward. We replaced the drive belt, and noticed it was worn in several spots almost completely through. This didn't fix the problem and actually seems to have made it worse. When trying it out after changing the belt, I tried driving onto the lawn, but couldn't get enough speed to get over the little hump along the driveway. After we finally got it up and over the hump, it still kicks out of gear. It runs fine in reverse though. Have heard several causes: worn spring, needs new transmission, or needs adjustment on the shift lever. Can anyone offer any advice? Don't really want to buy a new one since it runs fine otherwise, and I don't want to pay a fortune to fix it if we can do it ourselves! Thanks!

Sponsored Links

MI

07-07-08, 01:14 PM   #2  
can you post the model number of the rider.sense it runs fine in reverse it might just need adjusting.

07-07-08, 02:17 PM   #3  
model number

Sorry would have posted it earlier, but I didn't have it with me when I thought of checking this site for any advice.
Here it is: 13AN673G131
The manual mentions making adjustments, but my dh was so tired of messing with it that he was sure there was more to it than that.

MI

07-07-08, 10:55 PM   #4  
if you haven't try what the manual says for adjustments. what does the trouble shooting pages say.

07-08-08, 04:21 AM   #5  
the troubleshooting page in our manual doesn't mention anything about that problem. Ok, I just flipped through our manual and I'm hoping that we weren't complete idiots. We replaced the rear drive belt. My hubby didn't even look at the front one-could that be the problem? And if so, do you have any hints to make it easier to change the belts on what he calls "a complete hunk of junk"?

07-08-08, 12:46 PM   #6  
Update...

Ok, went out and made adjustments to shift lever as specified in manual. Unable to make any other adjustments at this time since they require 2 people. Tried out the rider and again it runs perfectly in reverse. It started out ok in forward, but then it started to jerk/slip. I applied pressure to the shift lever, helped a little, but after a couple more passes it really started to slip and stop completely while making a clicking noise. I don't know if it means anything, but when this first started happening it would only do it when I did left turns. I didn't not try it making right turns today. Called a couple of repair shops and they say it sounds like "transaxle". Hubby just wants to buy a new rider, but I would like to fix it since otherwise it runs great! Please help!!!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-08-08, 09:59 PM   #7  
Sure sounds like a bad tranny to me as well. Personally, I don't like those mowers or most of the MTD made mowers and I wouldn't be enthusiastic about fixing it. If you like it and you can get a tranny for a price you're willing to pay, go for it.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread