Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

craftsman eager-1 burns oil

NY

07-08-08, 08:54 PM   #1  
craftsman eager-1 burns oil

I have a 6 years old craftsman eager-1, 6.5HP machine. Last weekend it started heavily smoking.I stopped it, checked the oil level, it was low. Added more oil and started it again, the same problem.It looks like it is burning gas mixed with oil. Does it worth fixing and can I fix it myself? Iam planning to take it apart this week, your advice will be time saving ,since I have never repaired a lawnmower. Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-08-08, 09:26 PM   #2  
Does the oil in the engine smell like gas? If so, you have carburetor problems, if not, you may have internal engine problems or a blown head gasket IF it's an overhead valve engine.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

07-09-08, 06:14 AM   #3  
The engin oil does not show signs of gas in it and there is no oil in the gas tank. Low level of oil may indicate a problem with head gasket. If this is the case, i refer to my original question: does it worth repairing it and will I be able to do it myself?
thanks,

Last edited by dadek2000; 07-09-08 at 08:02 AM.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-09-08, 11:45 PM   #4  
Is it an OHV engine? That makes all the difference in the world as to the comment about the head gasket. If you don't know, post the model# of the engine. I don't know what you have. If it is the head gasket and only the head gasket, it should be worth repairing. I don't know if you can do it or not, as I don't know the extent of your mechanical ability, but if you own basic tools and can access a torque wrench, and have a decent mind for mechanics, or at least following directions, you should be able to perform the repair.

God bless!

NY

07-12-08, 08:22 AM   #5  
the model number is 944.361410. I removed the carb,spark plug and the silencer.carb's seals are o.k. Silencer is almost full of liquid tar, the combustion chamber surface has excessive tar build-up with signs of oil. Spark plug is dirty, covered with tar+oil. the tube which is coming from carb to the combustion chamber has signs of oil in it. the oil which I replaced a week ago is dark black. I have the tools and have the basic knowledge and experience in mechanics.Your help will be handy. Thanks,

Last edited by dadek2000; 07-12-08 at 09:50 AM.

NY

07-12-08, 12:13 PM   #6  
the head gasket is intact. oil could be seen on the perimeter of the piston when it moves back and forth. I suspect this could be the source of leakage( worn ring?). Cleaned everything, assembled the carb, now I can't figure it how to connect on of the two little rods which attches to carburater window opener. Still waiting for your advice. Thanks,

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-12-08, 11:35 PM   #7  
I can't tell you much without the engine model#.

God bless!

NY

07-13-08, 09:31 AM   #8  
I can't find the engin model #.On the carb it says tecumseh. there is a patent 3 on the propeler. That is pretty much all. would you please tip me where to find the model #? or may be I post a picture of it? Thanks,

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-13-08, 04:03 PM   #9  
The model # is usually on a label on the side of the engine shroud. Post a pic if you can't find a #. I tried looking up the engine by the mower model# you posted, but sears's site is down now anyway.

God bless!

Search this Thread