Craftsman LT4000 42'' Mower wont start

Old 07-08-08, 05:07 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Craftsman LT4000 42'' Mower wont start

its got the 14hp Kohler motor in it. got spark, has fuel, but i think too much? i tried starting it, then i took the air filter off and i looked down into the carb and it was full of fuel. everytime after i try starting it something clicks. im not exactly sure where its coming from, but i have a feeling its the problem. i thought it might be that fuel shutoff on the bottom of the carb bowl, so i disconnected that wire. i then tried plugging that back in, and that fuel solenoid clicks, so its getting power to it. does that mean its flowing fuel? or not? im not sure which way that works. anyway while that was disconnected i could still hear that clicking noise. its stumping me. any idea would be great.

thanks,
Jack

Old 07-08-08, 09:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Sounds to me like the inlet needle in the carb is not seating for whatever reason. Drop the bowl and have a look. You might have to replace the needle, clean the carb, replace the float, etc..

The solenoid on the bottom of the carb isn't the problem. It's an anti-backfire solenoid and if it's clicking, it's working.

Old 07-09-08, 06:07 AM
J
thanks for the response cheese. ill try that out today and see what happens.

Old 07-09-08, 08:50 AM
J
alright so i cleaned the carb, it wasnt that dirty but i did anyway. float is good, needle looks ok, and i cleaned the jets and the rest of the carb. put it all back together and it fired right up. perfect high and low idle ran great. i wa pretty impressed with myself! i let it run for about 30sec. and then shut it up to replace the air filter and cover. go back to start it up and it wont go!!!! sometimes it back fires, but it just wont run.took the bowl off again, full of fuel so i know its getting fuel. when i try starting it again i look down into the carb and i can see a little bit of gas at the bottom of the intake tube. not sure if thats good or bad. either way i dont know why its doing this. its got plenty of spark. it must be a carb issue, but what?! any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks all,
Jack

Old 07-09-08, 11:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
I'd replace the needle and clean the seat with a Q-tip soaked with carb cleaner. It's still leaking.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: