Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Toro Z325 PTO issue

07-09-08, 10:03 AM   #1  
Toro Z325 PTO issue

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I purchased a used Toro 325 Z master with backpack bagging system. The guy I bought it from said the shop checked it out and everything was in excellent condition. (should have walked away then) en=verything seemed ok when I checked it out. Engine is a Kohler command pro 25 that was replaced in 2004 and has about 300 hours on it. The unit has a little less than 1400.
Got it home and changed all the fluids, hydro and engine. Started mowing with it today and after about 10 minutes the PTO shut the engine down. Turned the PTO off and engine starts right up and runs fine, Turn the electric PTO swith and the engine dies, if I flip the PTO switch off when the engine is dying she picks right up and runs fine. Sounds electrical to me anybody had this issue before?? any ideas??? I'm too hot from mowing to fool with it right now so thought I'd ask the question.

This mower will be only used on my personal yard so it will not be seeing a lot of use. I liked the way it cut and picked up everything (I;ve got a lot of long leaf pines that I need to keep the needles off the lawn)

Thanks in advance

Mike

Sponsored Links

CA

07-09-08, 11:31 AM   #2  
Can you post the model and serial number of your mower?

I believe there are a couple of relays that interlock the safety switches on your unit, could be the one that interlocks the pto is getting hot and failing.

07-09-08, 12:16 PM   #3  
Model # 74183
Sn# 890128

All the saftey swithes have been bypassed by previous owner.

Mike

CA

07-09-08, 04:21 PM   #4  
Looking at the IPL for your unit, there appears to be 5 relays. It does not matter that the safety switches are bypassed, as all that has done is eliminate the switch as the possible problem. The switches operate the relays that in turn control the engine. If one of the relays (the one that interlocks the blades) is getting hot and failing, when it opens it will cause the engine to die.

You can test this theory out, by unplugging the kill switch lead to the engine (should be the white wire) and see if the engine will continue to run with the blades turned on, just after you start having the problem. If it works with the kill wire disconnected, then you know it's not an issue with the mower overloading the engine.

There are ways to wire around this, but your best bet would simply be to mark each of the relay's and then when you have this problem, try switching one with another to see if you can isolate the bad one. They are all the same and interchangeable, once you isolate the bad one then, simply replace it and you would be good to go.

07-09-08, 06:29 PM   #5  
AA,

Thanks for the reply, after I cooled off I went out and checked all the bypassed switches. I checked the bypass wires and taped them in place. The PTO clutch worked fine and then I ran it for about 15 minutes (longer than when it failed before) all seems well. I am still worried about an overheating relay and will check them if it occurs again.

Thank you very much.

Mike

Search this Thread