Troy-bilt GTX 16hp with B&S Vanguard engine

Old 07-09-08, 09:23 PM
Troy-bilt GTX 16hp with B&S Vanguard engine

Hi,

Just bought a used Troy-bilt garden tractor. Started fine and runs good. Mowed half the lawn and shut her down for a few minutes. Tried to restart, but battery was dead (Prior to mowing I started it four or five times without a problem). Charged battery, restarted and finished the lawn. Tried to use it today and battery dead again. Battery looks good, but not sure how to test it to be sure. It's sealed. If I put a meter on it and it reads more than 12 volts, does that mean it's good?

The vanguard twin is model 303447, type 1216-A13898. Does this engine have an alternator? How does it charge the battery? I don't have the manual and haven't been able to find one online yet.

Any help would be apprieciated. Thanks in advance.

Dick

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-08, 10:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Without a load tester, you're mostly just guessing about a battery's condition. If it reads over 12 volts and starts the engine, it's probably good. Since you had to charge t to crank the engine, I would tend to think the engine isn't charging while it is running. Test the voltage at the battery with a fully charged battery connected to the mower with the engine running at full throttle and post back with the results.

Old 07-13-08, 07:03 AM
Used a trickle charger to bring battery to full charge. It read 12.6 volts. Started tractor fine. At full throttle the meter read a steady 12.46 -12.47. I did not run it any more than to do the test. Shouldn't this number be in the 13-14 volt range?

Again, thanks for your help.

Dick

Old 07-13-08, 04:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, it should be 13.5 or so. Unplug the connector by the starter with the red wire and black wire in the same rectangular connector. Check voltage at the red wire there with the engine running full throttle.

Old 07-13-08, 07:57 PM
I don't have ready access to the tractor so I can't see what you're saying. I need to clarify. I think I need to pull the red wire out of the connector and read the voltage with the engine running at full throttle. Two questions: not sure how to position the leads from the meter. Does the red lead from the meter go to the red wire that came out of the connector and the black lead from the meter go to the black wire on the connector?

Also, I guess I need to start the engine before pulling out the red wire? Or doesn't it matter? Thanks.

Dick

Old 07-14-08, 06:42 PM
Hi Cheese,

I didn't find a rectangular connector with a red and a black wire in it, but I did find a red wire with a black stripe. That wire had a connector on it, so I separated it and placed the meter between the two ends. At full throttle it read 11.76 volts. I'm guessing that's to low. What's the next step?

Dick

Old 07-14-08, 07:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's not the wire. Did you look near the starter? You've got to find the alternator wire and check it before proceeding any further. Look for a red and black wire coming from the underside of the flywheel. They are there.

When you find it, you put the black lead from the meter to ground on the frame and the red lead to the red wire in the connector.