Craftsman pull cord does not go back in.

Old 07-10-08, 11:20 AM
Craftsman pull cord does not go back in.

I purchased someones used Craftsman, Eager-1, 6.5 hp propelled walk behind mower, model # 917.377421. The pull cord is pulled out and does not spring back in. I got the cord back in by turning the blade, therefore I beleive it is not seized. I downloaded the manual for the machine and I do not see a spring coil on the exploded parts diagram. I have rewinded coils on a chainsaw and I thought it would be the same idea. Is there possibly a different design here. I dont beleive the cord had broken and they replaced it without rewinding the spring. I took the cover off the wheel that holds the cord and I see 2 metal prongs that stick out to engage in the flywheel cup (I think thats what it was called), they were a little gacked up so I lubed those up but have not gotten the chance to do much else with it. Any help out there on this? Thanks Chris.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-08, 12:46 PM
It's like a chainsaw - spring under the cord reel. They usually break at the end. If that's the case you may be able to rework the end of the spring.

Old 07-10-08, 01:12 PM
Thanks for your reply. The problem is that I do not see a sping/coil under there. I removed the outer cover shroud, then removed the pulley with the cord wrapped around it. Looking underneath that pulley there is a 2" diameter enclosed black plastic cylinder with the 2 metal prongs sticking out that I had lubed up. Those prongs engage in a cup to make the motor spin at start up. Is it possible the coil is inside that black plastic cylinder, and I should just put it back and try to wind it to tension the spring (if its inside there)? Is it possible the coil is below the motor?, on the parts break out there is a part called the "engine pulley" but it appears to be below the motor, between the motor and the blade. To get to that it seems you would need to take the motor off. Thanks.

Old 07-10-08, 03:24 PM
You have it figured out. The spring is in the plastic cylinder. If you can't get any spring tension, you'll have to replace the starter recoil (plastic cylinder you're referring to). Try holding the drive dogs and turn them by hand. If they turn freely without building tension, the spring is broken and the assembly will have to be replaced.

It has nothing to do with the engine pulley under the motor.

Old 07-11-08, 05:03 AM
Thanks again for the reply. I did get a better look at it last night and yeah there is definitely a spring coil under there enclosed. I was holding the outer housing and winding it and it kept spinning with out spring tension, so I figured the coil needed to be replaced. But now after reading your response, that makes sense to hold the dogs. I will try winding it holding it at the dogs later today after work. If the coil needs replacing I'll have to dismantle this assembly, per the diagram there is a part called a spring clip (looks like a stubby plastic nail) that needs to be removed at the end of the (2) forked spring pin, Would you know how that clip is removed? Thanks again.

Old 07-11-08, 06:34 AM
It sounds like the spring is broken or disconnected. What you've been doing would give a good indication of the problem.

If you can, post the model number of the engine.

Old 07-11-08, 06:37 AM
The mower model # 917.377421, I do not have the engine model # at this time.

Last edited by cms1111; 07-11-08 at 07:18 AM.

Search this Thread